Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s $79 on Pandasaurus’ website, but CSI/MM/Amazon list the MSRP st $69. Trying to anticipate what my FLGS will be carrying it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
It’s $79 on Pandasaurus’ website, but CSI/MM/Amazon list the MSRP st $69. Trying to anticipate what my FLGS will be carrying it for.

MSRP is 79.95. Looks like CSI, etc haven’t updated their pricing yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also will be the retail version not Deluxe if I'm not mistaken. Deluxe was only available on KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoresfilm wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

Interesting. That’s into Terra Mystica, Blood Rage, and Scythe pricing territory. It’ll be interesting to see the retail reception of the game at that price point. I suppose the quality of components will probably be seen as justifying the price, which in these days seems to play a big factor for lots of people.

But I wonder about the effect of the unknown and essentially first time designer names on the box and the small, somewhat obscure Pandasaurus publisher name as well. Don’t exactly have the name brand recognition of Lang, Stonemaier, or ZMan. The again the designer of TM was a first time designer, so anything is possible. It’s got some decent buzz going around BGG, so that’s positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
But I wonder about the effect of the unknown and essentially first time designer names on the box

Um, it was co-created by john Gilmour, the creator of Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and Wasteland Express Delivery Service. Not exactly an unknown designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chamoxil wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:
But I wonder about the effect of the unknown and essentially first time designer names on the box

Um, it was co-created by john Gilmour, the creator of Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and Wasteland Express Delivery Service. Not exactly an unknown designer.

That’s the thing: I don’t think anyone associates those with him. It’s partially the issue of designing games in teams (everyone gets less recognition, especially in Ameritrash games). More specifically, I think the first thought for DoW is that it’s a Plaid Hat game; then people might think of the Vega guy second. I think it’s also a symptom of Ameritrash games—-people don’t associate designers and their names with Ameritrash games. By contrast, Euro games are inextricably tied to their designer’s names.

Ask people who designed Eldritch Horror or Twilight Imperium, and I’ll bet you that most people (even those who play it) couldn’t tell you who the designers were off the tops of their heads. They’d probably say Fantasy Flight published them. I couldn’t tell you who designed the Arkham Horror LCG without looking it up, and it’s probably my favorite game right now. I also own Dead of Winter and couldn’t have told you who had designed it prior to just now. By contrast, I guarantee that the vast majority of gamers could tell you that Agricola was designed by Rosenberg and that Feld designed Castles of Burgundy without a blip in thought. I could tell you right this second who designed all of my Euro games.

In summary: Gilmour has only designed a few Aeritrash games. Despite their relatively widespread recognition in gaming (Wasteland much, much less so), he’s not widely associated with the games. Dino Island is a Euro game, which is new territory for him. Euro gamers are unlikely to have heard of him. Designer names are inextricably tied to Euro games and are important to Euro gamers. In other words, he’s starting fresh to the vast, vast majority of gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I was drawn to this game in the first place was because of the designer. Any game that I really enjoy, I'm gonna know the designer. Doesn't matter whether it's Euro or Ameritrash. Gilmour's name on a box (or a lot of other designers) will immediately pique my interest.

For this game in particular, I've already had a lot of people in my game group having heard of it. I think a big draw for DI is of course the theme. But it also has pretty darn great mechanics. While the MSRP may be a bit high for someone to take a chance if they're not otherwise convinced, many stores will be selling below MSRP. And I think if they get a chance to try it out, they'll know whether it's worth it got them. It would certainly be worth $80 to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest you grab it in a hurry. We definitely did not print enough based on initial demand from distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verballyinsane wrote:
The reason I was drawn to this game in the first place was because of the designer. Any game that I really enjoy, I'm gonna know the designer. Doesn't matter whether it's Euro or Ameritrash. Gilmour's name on a box (or a lot of other designers) will immediately pique my interest.

For this game in particular, I've already had a lot of people in my game group having heard of it. I think a big draw for DI is of course the theme. But it also has pretty darn great mechanics. While the MSRP may be a bit high for someone to take a chance if they're not otherwise convinced, many stores will be selling below MSRP. And I think if they get a chance to try it out, they'll know whether it's worth it got them. It would certainly be worth $80 to me.

When a game is designed by multiple people, how do you know how much involvement one of the designers really had and how that will translate to designing a game on his/her own or with another designer? Maybe his entire involvement in DoW was, “hey, let’s make a game about zombies and you have to make almost blind decisions during the game.” I assume that’s not true, but there is no saying that it’s not. But maybe all of the mechanical work was done by the other designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoresfilm wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

What’s to “update?” They’re just posting what you told them what the MSRP should be. Unless you told them one thing and decided to increase it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
scoresfilm wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

Interesting. That’s into Terra Mystica, Blood Rage, and Scythe pricing territory. It’ll be interesting to see the retail reception of the game at that price point. I suppose the quality of components will probably be seen as justifying the price, which in these days seems to play a big factor for lots of people.

But I wonder about the effect of the unknown and essentially first time designer names on the box and the small, somewhat obscure Pandasaurus publisher name as well. Don’t exactly have the name brand recognition of Lang, Stonemaier, or ZMan. The again the designer of TM was a first time designer, so anything is possible. It’s got some decent buzz going around BGG, so that’s positive.

I can say I've certainly received more customer preorders than I'd normally expect from an $80 game. so it doesn't seem to be hurting from lack of brand/name recognition. I have a feeling I will be sold out within days of receiving my copies, IF I receive the ones I have asked for from distributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s the actual street date of this game? Every website gives a different date ranging from 12/27-1/03.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
verballyinsane wrote:

When a game is designed by multiple people, how do you know how much involvement one of the designers really had and how that will translate to designing a game on his/her own or with another designer? Maybe his entire involvement in DoW was, “hey, let’s make a game about zombies and you have to make almost blind decisions during the game.” I assume that’s not true, but there is no saying that it’s not. But maybe all of the mechanical work was done by the other designer.

We should always assume the worst and post as negatively as possible about people who may read these forums and have actual feelings. Good thing I know how much I was involved and it doesn't really bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when does this game hit the stores? I’ve got a gift certificate to my FLGS burning a hole in my pocket and a preorder for the game burning a hole in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
12/27 is the street date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:

That’s the thing: I don’t think anyone associates those with him. It’s partially the issue of designing games in teams (everyone gets less recognition, especially in Ameritrash games). More specifically, I think the first thought for DoW is that it’s a Plaid Hat game; then people might think of the Vega guy second. I think it’s also a symptom of Ameritrash games—-people don’t associate designers and their names with Ameritrash games. By contrast, Euro games are inextricably tied to their designer’s names.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Jon is not only a well known and successful designer, but deeply engaged in the community too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
scoresfilm wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

Pandasaurus is anything but obscure. They brought Machi Koro over from Japan. Put out Starfall and Red Scare. Printed a new edition of Yedo, and have been increasing their games library since they started. Even if you don't like some things they've published it would be odd to consider them any more obscure than Plaid Hat Games.

And you might want to think hard before trashing on a designer's job... you also have no idea what they contribute to game design and to automatically assume the worst is pretty narrow-minded, Especially when they've done enough to get their name put on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaGoblinz wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:
scoresfilm wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

Pandasaurus is anything but obscure. They brought Machi Koro over from Japan. Put out Starfall and Red Scare. Printed a new edition of Yedo, and have been increasing their games library since they started. Even if you don't like some things they've published it would be odd to consider them any more obscure than Plaid Hat Games.

And you might want to think hard before trashing on a designer's job... you also have no idea what they contribute to game design and to automatically assume the worst is pretty narrow-minded, Especially when they've done enough to get their name put on the box.

Okay, I’ll give you Machi Koro. Yedo is a reprint. The other two are objectively crappy games.

One particular co-designer may have done a lot. Maybe even most. But to be automatically interested in a subsequent game due to a designers name, who has only co-designed games in the past, is incredibly short-sighted. What if their involvement had nothing to do with the parts you like about previous games or the parts that interest you in the new one?

Buying a game based on a co-designer of previous games you like would be like buying every Richard Lanius game because you liked FFG’s Arkham Horror (he had zero to do with the FFG version). For the record, all of his games have been as objectively horrible as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Objectively...princess bride guy...picture...yawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Objectively...princess bride guy...picture...yawn.

You must be one of those people that dismiss meaningless things like data and numbers. #Fakenews, am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean...unless his games are literally ranked at the bottom of every game here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkart
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
I would also suggest you grab it in a hurry. We definitely did not print enough based on initial demand from distribution.

Do you know when there might be a reprint for those of us who've missed out on the initial print run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:

Buying a game based on a co-designer of previous games you like would be like buying every Richard Lanius game because you liked FFG’s Arkham Horror (he had zero to do with the FFG version). For the record, all of his games have been as objectively horrible as possible.

I love Defenders of the Last Stand. But now I find it is "objectively as horrible as possible?" I guess I better not love it anymore.

Somebody's grinching up the holidays around here, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.