Subject: Fearsome Foes arrived! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Showed up today near the end of delivery hours. A veritable Christmas miracle it was.

I'm digging into it now, about to play against the Shadow Unicorn as the Knight so as to refamiliarize myself with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I re-familiarized myself with the rules by dying.

I made a number of mistakes such as forgetting to get grit and forgetting to use cubes as needed as opposed to at the start of the turn. In addition, I made a number of poor choices. Got myself in range of a Unicorn rampage, blah blah.

It's Vast, so each role takes some learning. There's a lot to dig into here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Showed up today near the end of delivery hours.
Wow, that got me excited. Hopefully sometime early in the new year then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh W
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

It's Vast, so each role takes some learning. There's a lot to dig into here.

looking forward to getting my copy and bringing this to the table... i've got a strange affinity to this game and its style/artwork/gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived today! Yay!

Man I wish the expansion didn't come with minis. They came out SOOO GOOOOOOOD! I am now filled with longing for the minis for the base game, which is exactly what I was afraid of. When I was at GenCon I averted my eyes when I was at the Leder booth just to avoid this. robot

Also, I have a question about one of the unicorn cards... was it an African or European swallow?

laughlaughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, mine arrived today, Bonus cards, Fearsome Foes & Mini expansion! Oh and Peter, the rest of the minis are as awesome as the FFs. In fact I must say these are the best made minis I have ever seen. beautiful castings, sturdy, no mold lines, just fantastic! They are even molded in color so you don't have to paint them, but I'm so going to enjoy painting these beauties! Now the big question is do I paint them first or play with them first.......

Thank you Patrick and the whole crew at Lender Games! You knocked this one out of the park!

Edit: One small thing, I would advise you to be careful of the ghoul mini. The sword handle is a bit thin, it looks fantastic, but mine was broke in the tray, still attached, just holding on. A little super glue should fix the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're arriving!? Can't wait to get mine!

So I have yet to play my base game, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the options.. Standees, wood tokens, etc. Actually takes a lot of box space. Are you guys going to be using minis exclusively from now on?

Also, I see in the new Dice Tower kickstarter, there are Vast bonus cards.. are those the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CC XX
msg tools
mb
Mine arrived Friday. Spent time sleeving and organizing. Then played a standard solo Knight game. Then played Knight solo with the Shadow Unicorn. So much more interesting and enjoyable with the unicorn antagonist and the minis. Based on what I have seen so far, this really fills out the game nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I also went to the task of reorganizing, sleeving, etc.

Took a lot longer than I thought. I love that the game offers options... standees.. wooden tokens... cardboard tokens for things.... but it's hard to choose. I just decided to ditch everything except these awesome miniatures.

I've got baggies up to my eyeballs.

I love that the miniatures came in an insert.... but the insert hugs them too tightly, unfortunately. Some are really challenging to get in and out, and when I finally get around to painting these beauties, it wouldn't work out.

Wondering, if I do a foam core insert, the best way to store this game... Boards and instruction manuals in the Fearsome Foe Box, with minis, cards, and tokens specially arranged in the base game box? It will take some consideration..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I received mine this past Friday and I spent some time this weekend reading through the rules and playing some solo games. The Dragon vs the Shadow Unicorn was pretty fun, but otherwise I played the Unicorn and the Ghoul. I was going to play the Ghost solo but I didn't want to take out all the other components. I'll probably try the Knight vs Shadow Unicorn tonight and maybe the Vile Ghoul next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you recommend for a short solo tutorial intro game? I haven't touched the game yet and especially with the expansions, would like to get started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
What would you recommend for a short solo tutorial intro game? I haven't touched the game yet and especially with the expansions, would like to get started!

If you haven't played at all yet, start with the Knight for your first solo game. The Dragon would work well too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely start with the Knight. It helped me to also play the Dragon at the same time and see how different the roles are. Make sure you have a couple hours though if you play two together. Both play fast once they click, but it's a lot to keep up with at first. (And it's hard to try to win with both instead of choosing a favorite.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just got mine in, and I already found a typo. The "Blocking the Ghost" card mentions "If any player is on a Ghost tihle". Literally unplayable smh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timpkmn89 wrote:
Just got mine in, and I already found a typo. The "Blocking the Ghost" card mentions "If any player is on a Ghost tihle". Literally unplayable smh

Just to make sure I understand how the word "literally" works, you are saying that you cannot play the game because of that misspelling? Oh, and what word exactly is "smh"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Oh, and what word exactly is "smh"?
Urban Dictionary: SMH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:

Thanks, Yoki.

As I suspected, it isn't a word.

So is timpkmn89 shaking their head or full of so much hate? I'll refrain from going on a rant about ambiguity, clear communication, and the death of language. Maybe I'll have my daughter do it, though.

Interestingly enough, there is a game about exploring the death of languages, called Dialect. I don't see a BGG entry, but it's (currently) the first thing listed on their website: http://www.thornygames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
stoneleaf wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:

Thanks, Yoki.

As I suspected, it isn't a word.

So is timpkmn89 shaking their head or full of so much hate? I'll refrain from going on a rant about ambiguity, clear communication, and the death of language. Maybe I'll have my daughter do it, though.

Interestingly enough, there is a game about exploring the death of languages, called Dialect. I don't see a BGG entry, but it's (currently) the first thing listed on their website: http://www.thornygames.com.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/literally-unplayable

And it's not like words with multiple meanings are a recent "invention". We don't need to break out things like ISO's requirement level definitions for a casual discussion board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Dialect is over on RPGgeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
timpkmn89 wrote:

Just to make sure I understand how the word "literally" works, you are saying that you cannot play the game because of that misspelling? Oh, and what word exactly is "smh"?

This is a meme in gamer culture in which a seemingly inconsequential minor detail is said to make a game "literally unplayable". It is satire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
timpkmn89 wrote:

On top of being a meme, the word literally can also be used in place of the word figuratively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really. But literally can be used figuratively and often,incorrectly, is, e.g. when someone says their jaw “literally hit ground” when it literally didn’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
I am a bit annoyed that the insert for the fearsome foes has a card spot that won't accommodate sleeved cards. That means I will have to throw out the insert one I sleeve, because without being able to use that spot for cards I can't fit everything in. How many times am I gonna have to yell at producers about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Void2258 wrote:
I am a bit annoyed that the insert for the fearsome foes has a card spot that won't accommodate sleeved cards. That means I will have to throw out the insert one I sleeve, because without being able to use that spot for cards I can't fit everything in. How many times am I gonna have to yell at producers about this?

About as often as the people on the other side of the fence that don't sleeve their cards (yes, they do exist) that yell at producers for "wasting space" when the producers make inserts sized to fit sleeved cards.

Some days, you really can't win.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy is in my hands! Sleeves for it are coming soon after. Now I can finally play this in meatspace! Banana for scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.