Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original 1.5 rulebook did a MUCH better job of explaining combat and enocunters than the new Forest of Shadows rulebook.

Especially regarding the extra challenges that come from the level card. The 1.5 rulebook explains that all boxes from the monster/peril AND the dungeon level challenges need to be covered.

The Forest of Shadows rulebook explains this very vaguely. It mentions that the dungeon card is active, but that's about it. It's very vague.

Anyway, the game is still brilliant. I just don't know why the new rulebook has less explanation in some sections than the 1.5 rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Bresnahan
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the older rulebook do a better job detailing the 2-player game? I've managed to figure out most of the solo play in spite of the new rulebook.

It's as if the writer suffers a bit from ADD. ie; You need to know about this big thing, but let us detail this other stuff first, then not tell you about that thing mentioned before.

Companies should always run a final playtest of their game with some non-gamers in a room with no aid or advice to see how their product is interpreted.

I've certainly seen worse rulebooks, but it really shouldn't be this bad. Especially in a newer printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played solo, and haven't really paid much attention to the two player rules.

But, the original 1.5 rulebook is vastly better than this new one. They really forgot to explain some things, and glossed over other things, like the distinction between monsters and traps (I forget their actual name), and how their colors match whatever choice you make to attempt the trap. And how the icons on the dungeon cards relate to the encounters.

I agree with you, it's a very strangely written rulebook, and I don't know why they lessened the detail from the 1.5 book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized what is majorly missing from the new Forest of Shadows rulebook. The turn reference section that goes through all parts of the game, step by step. This is a super useful section that is completely left out of the new manual.

That reference/turn breakdown really nails down how to play the game, every step of the way.

It really should have been in this new rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've not had a chance to open mine yet with family and holidays, but that's a very odd choice to remove content in a future printing. Does the FoS rules contain anything extra (meaning we'll need to keep 2 rule books on hand) or are the prior rules more complete in every way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1.5 rulebook is vastly superior in every way. However, the new Forest of Shadows rulebook has rules about the new game mechanics, poison, resisting poison, exiling dice, and a couple other things.

Other than that, the new rulebook seems like it was hastily and poorly put together compared to the previous rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
I just realized what is majorly missing from the new Forest of Shadows rulebook. The turn reference section that goes through all parts of the game, step by step. This is a super useful section that is completely left out of the new manual.

That reference/turn breakdown really nails down how to play the game, every step of the way.

It really should have been in this new rulebook.

What are you talking about? The new games still have the turn reference in the box, which lists the steps of an encounter, and the rulebook pages 12-17 list each step of an encounter, labeled Step 1 through Step 6.

If you mean the two parts of a turn, that's on page 8.

If you mean the text-only Reference Section, I got a mountain of complaints about it, and we put all the rules into the illustrated guide instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

I've not had a chance to open mine yet with family and holidays, but that's a very odd choice to remove content in a future printing. Does the FoS rules contain anything extra (meaning we'll need to keep 2 rule books on hand) or are the prior rules more complete in every way?

Previous editions had two separate explanations, one with graphics, one text-only. To remove confusion, we merged all content into the graphical version. No rules were removed, but redundancy was. Many people complained that they had to look in two places for rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just as a counterpoint: my opinion is that the new rulebook is significantly better than the old one. Exactly as Chris says, the two sections in 1.5 made it challenging (for me anyway) to learn the game.

The new one seems to flow smoothly, it doesn't have the intimidating "wall of text" of 1.5, and so far, it seems like everything is covered.

I do agree it'd have been nice if there were a slightly more detailed combat example (e.g. showing the dungeon level box before it gets covered), and a similar peril example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am talking about the text reference section at the end of the manual. I LOVED that. It has every rule right there.

I also agree that a more detailed combat example, including a peril encounter, and more stress to the point of having to consider the boxes on the dungeon cards are lacking.

To each their own, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
The new rulebook could have benefited from some extra pages with FAQ that was posted about ODD rule clarifications, on BGG alone there were lots of those questions. It would reflect the stuff that gamers walk into. And 1-2 extra pages that were blank but could be filled by players to make notes on specifics.

Personally I would have appreciated a listing of all the powers and effects, in alphabetical order, so I could in-game quickly look up if I play it correctly.

But I have to say I appreciate the new rulebook. It might prove too difficult for average gamers in the sense that everything is written there but you have to read very carefully.

Some things strike me as quite new though, the general supply thing on page 7: any two dice can be discarded for a black heroic die, now it's discard to the dice pool. Meaning you "permanently" have lost the dice and instead have a black die. I always played that the two dice were the equivalent of a black die, for that one encounter, and I kept them for the next encounter. I don't think I need to point out that the new rule is far harsher than my interpretation. I guess I always played wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No - you had it right the first time.

Discarding to the dice pool doesn't mean you've permanently lost the dice.

It just means you've traded 2 regular dice for a heroic dice on this particular encounter.

You pull your dice out of the dice pool (all available dice) each time you encounter something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.