Hide
5 Posts

Dutch Blitz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wood Pile Problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
That rules state that you may only flip three cards when using your wood pile, but what if you are left with two or one in your hand?

Do you flip them over and then restart your wood pile counting at three again, or do you have to pick up your wood pile first and put it on the bottom of the remaining one or two cards, and then count three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casedinlight wrote:
That rules state that you may only flip three cards when using your wood pile, but what if you are left with two or one in your hand?

Do you flip them over and then restart your wood pile counting at three again, or do you have to pick up your wood pile first and put it on the bottom of the remaining one or two cards, and then count three?

The latter. You always need to have three cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Cool, thank you. I'll have to teach my friends that way then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect, actually. According to the rules, you only put your Wood Pile back in your hand when you've turned over the last cards in your hand, so if you only have one or two left, you flip those.

There's a rule for if someone (or everyone) is stuck or "grid-locked," where you take the top card of the Wood Pile and place it on the bottom in order to reset the card order.

If you're putting the Wood Pile back in your hand when you only have one or two cards left, you're essentially doing that reset before you're actually stuck. Some might consider this similar enough to shuffling the Wood Pile (which is against the rules) to complain. Either way, it's giving you an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Sorry to resurrect a topic that has been idle awhile. I just recently discovered Dutch Blitz and really enjoy it. I've been spending some time reading everything I can get my hands on, including this forum.

Although this question is not answered in the current printed rules, it is answered in the rules page that used to be on the Dutch Blitz website. Even though they have removed that web page from their site and replaced it with a PDF of the rules sheet that comes with the game, the old rules page is still available through Archive.org at this address:

Archive of Dutch Blitz Rules Web Page
(I had to use tinyurl.com because Archive.org URLs also contain the URL of the original page and the forum software was mangling it.)

Once you go to that link if you click on the "Other Rules" tab you will see that it is worded with a little more detail than the corresponding section of the printed rules that come with the game today.

It reads:

Quote:
Cards Held in Your Hand: Turning over cards other than in groups of threes is not permitted except at the end where there may be less than three cards in hand. A player cannot shuffle these cards once play has begun. Taking groups of three cards from the bottom of a player's deck also violates playing rules.

Based on this it would appear that Amanda has the right answer.

Hope this is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.