Subject: New holy grail for solo player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OT OT
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Is this the New holy grail for the soloist? Mage Knight is my favourite solo game of all time and sinds that game I am hooked on playing solo. Now many other solo games later I still have not seen any game that gives me the satisfaction of mage knight. Is this game spirit island the New solo game for me?

Greets ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven’t played Spirit Island much yet but the little I saw was good enough for me to justify the purchase. I believe it will be a solid solo game but I don’t think it can ever give me the same satisfaction I have of playing Mage Knight. We will see how Spirit Island fares in the top 100 solo list next year, but I bet Mage Knight will be #1 again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say that Spirit Island gives me a satisfaction in solo play that I haven't gotten from any other game, including Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's absolutely a 10/10 game for me, but no, I don't think it's the holy grail, or a guaranteed hit for people who love Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great solo game that occupies at least some of that decision space, so definitely give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
Sackville
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm enjoying it so far. It definitely scratches the same itch as MK for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Great solo game. Worth the the price.
Two others are Peloponnes and Thunderbird.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mbmbmb
To me, it is THE heavy solo game. But your mileage may vary. Mage Knight has more complex rules and it is entirely possible you like it precisely because of this. In Spirit Island the complexity is elsewhere.
But anyway, I think Spirit Island is worth getting for anyone enjoying heavy solo games. Or at least worth trying solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OT OT
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply all, yeah I think it to that it is worth buying. But I wait till a 3 reprint or some thing.

With all those new (expensive) games with good and great solo modes I see my self buying and searching more games that I play.

Think I pop mage knight open one's more... or one of my other games (solo)

Greetz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prior to this year, I could not fathom why anyone would want to play a board game solo. And this was coming from someone who plays MOST games solo the first time, in order to learn the rules backwards and forwards before I had to teach it on game night.

Then Spirit Island and Gloomhaven came out this year, and I've soloed each at least a dozen times.

So yeah, it's a good time for solo players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to think I've played my fair share of solo games, and Spirit Island is at the top of the heap for me. Gaia Project is on its way up the ladder too, but I have not played a game quite like Spirit Island in its theme and the way the mechanics work together. It's preposterously good in that it's quite quick to setup, takes up very little table space, and can be played very quickly once you know the rules (and there really aren't many rules).

I had Mage Knight, and granted, it was at the beginning of my board gaming when learning a game that heavy almost broke me, but I'd much rather play Spirit Island than almost any other solo game (unless Cry Havoc gets an Automa deck or something like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
juls2 wrote:
To me, it is THE heavy solo game. But your mileage may vary. Mage Knight has more complex rules and it is entirely possible you like it precisely because of this. In Spirit Island the complexity is elsewhere.
But anyway, I think Spirit Island is worth getting for anyone enjoying heavy solo games. Or at least worth trying solo.

Do you consider Spirit Island to be heavy? Comancheria has proven to be much heavier and harder to learn for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fimon Telarde
msg tools
I been reading playing solo makes the game a bit easy to win, is this true? I thought it was challenging

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass2 wrote:
I been reading playing solo makes the game a bit easy to win, is this true? I thought it was challenging
I don't find solo easier or harder than multi-player (if everyone is at the same level). But in any case, the difficulty of the game is extremely tunable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that I could play 3-4 games of solo Spirit Island in the time it takes me to play one game of solo Mage Knight. Both are great games, but sometimes you don't have the time to dedicate to MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass2 wrote:

I have one person I play with every couple of weeks or so and we have yet to lose. We keep jacking up the difficulty and still stomp all over the invaders. We both do not nearly so well when player solo. So no, I would definitely not say that solo is easier. Solo with a couple of spirits can make it easier to coordinate their abilities, but if you are decently good and play with someone else who is at least as good as you, I think you will find that you can maintain the same level of coordination as with solo plus have two sets of eyes and two brains working out the problem, which means when one of you can't solve a problem the other probably can.

It all depends on having the right person or people to play with though. Solo is more reliable, since that isn't a factor, so there's a pretty good balance I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.