Lords of Hellas» Forums » General

Subject: Is this worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Besides the miniature per dollar amount, is the game worth it in general? The gameplay, how unique is it, what makes it different?

Still having a hard time deciding whether to late back it or not. Those with actual experience playing it, please reply and do you honestly see it going to the table a lot compared to all the other great games out there? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I don't know how much this will help you, but...

I've played a couple of two-handed test games and one three player game with a couple friends, but I'm not sure that's enough to really get a handle on it due to the variety of game mechanics that we really don't know how to weigh yet.

There are a lot of different things you can do, which are activated by spending a limited number of resources, while trying to reach one of four completely different victory conditions. As a result we played very cautiously, resulting in an anticlimactic experience (we didn't have a single fight occur between troops!).

So, If all the players have a firm grasp of the different mechanics and play aggressively, I think it's going to work well. Hopefully I'll get it to the table again soon and be able to give a better assessment of the overall experience. In the meantime, I like the variety of ideas that it brings to the table and I think it has some solid potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk Karwot
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me and my friends play games like Fief, Scythe, Game of Thrones and Chaos in the Old World.
So we've printed the Print & Play version, used GoT's pieces for armies, priests and control tokens, LEGO pieces as monuments and Scythe's mechs and heroes for monsters and well... heroes

We've always played 4-player games, 4 or 5 times now (last one was yesterday ) and I have to say that each time we don't have enough of Lords of Hellas

Some games are fairly aggressive, some are more tactical and we've seen wins by territory control, temple control and monster kills. Only monument control is left to see, but we suspect it's also a viable option of winning

Games are different each time, they could be random in case of battles (especially with blessings) and monster hunting though. But we're having a great time playing it, and mind you, we don't own the minatures!
The only problems we're having is with aformentioned blessings cards, when sometimes one rules out the other and we're not sure what would be correct... I hope it will be explained in official FAQ or rules by developers later.

I've convinced my group to try playing P&P to see if the game is worth anything beside it's awesome minis...
And our verdict:
IT IS!

Went for Titan Pledge all-in and waiting for the Polish version to come out, not to mention the expansions that will come next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Pat Dolan wrote:
I don't know how much this will help you, but...

I've played a couple of two-handed test games and one three player game with a couple friends, but I'm not sure that's enough to really get a handle on it due to the variety of game mechanics that we really don't know how to weigh yet.

There are a lot of different things you can do, which are activated by spending a limited number of resources, while trying to reach one of four completely different victory conditions. As a result we played very cautiously, resulting in an anticlimactic experience (we didn't have a single fight occur between troops!).

So, If all the players have a firm grasp of the different mechanics and play aggressively, I think it's going to work well. Hopefully I'll get it to the table again soon and be able to give a better assessment of the overall experience. In the meantime, I like the variety of ideas that it brings to the table and I think it has some solid potential.

Ah I can see that happening with a game with this much variety. Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Vilgefortz wrote:
Me and my friends play games like Fief, Scythe, Game of Thrones and Chaos in the Old World.
So we've printed the Print & Play version, used GoT's pieces for armies, priests and control tokens, LEGO pieces as monuments and Scythe's mechs and heroes for monsters and well... heroes

We've always played 4-player games, 4 or 5 times now (last one was yesterday ) and I have to say that each time we don't have enough of Lords of Hellas

Some games are fairly aggressive, some are more tactical and we've seen wins by territory control, temple control and monster kills. Only monument control is left to see, but we suspect it's also a viable option of winning

Games are different each time, they could be random in case of battles (especially with blessings) and monster hunting though. But we're having a great time playing it, and mind you, we don't own the minatures!
The only problems we're having is with aformentioned blessings cards, when sometimes one rules out the other and we're not sure what would be correct... I hope it will be explained in official FAQ or rules by developers later.

I've convinced my group to try playing P&P to see if the game is worth anything beside it's awesome minis...
And our verdict:
IT IS!

Went for Titan Pledge all-in and waiting for the Polish version to come out, not to mention the expansions that will come next

Do you think it would work as well with 3 players, with a map this big and so much ways of winning I would assume 4 players would be needed for the best experience. Anyway, thanks for replying. Helped me a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk Karwot
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The map isn't really that big if you learn how to move around it well. If your hero's speed attribuite is 3-4 then you can easily move nearly from one side to the other
As for the armies, there are blessing cards that will help move them faster and further (also Hermes' monument).

I guess 4-player game will be the best to play as everyone is surrounded and have similar chances.
In case of 3-player game, one of the lands (blue one I think) doesn't count for the 2 lands control condition, so the game might still be balanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.