Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Arle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Stronger green buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there! After at least 100 if not more than 150 games in more than 2 years, I got pretty convinced that most of the green buildings are almost-but-not-quite worth the 1 action + resources spent (usually early on) - with the notable exception of Colonist's House. The game seems very much like a race to me, a race towards the best combination of buildings available in that particular game, being the first to build a large vehicle + peat boat etc. (well, it's more than that, I know it's an oversimplification but it's a very strong element). In this race, time is often more precious that the advantage offered by the said green buildings IMO.

Therefore, I propose as a variant to increase the value of the green buildings (either all or all but Colonist's House) to 2 VP. Just a small extra incentive to "build green" . It didn't have a huge impact in my games, which I suppose is a good thing, it's more of a subtle balancing act. Please try and tell me what you think.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Quichotte wrote:
Hi there! After at least 100 if not more than 150 games in more than 2 years, I got pretty convinced that most of the green buildings are almost-but-not-quite worth the 1 action + resources spent (usually early on) - with the notable exception of Colonist's House. The game seems very much like a race to me, a race towards the best combination of buildings available in that particular game, being the first to build a large vehicle + peat boat etc. (well, it's more than that, I know it's an oversimplification but it's a very strong element). In this race, time is often more precious that the advantage offered by the said green buildings IMO.

Therefore, I propose as a variant to increase the value of the green buildings (either all or all but Colonist's House) to 2 VP. Just a small extra incentive to "build green" . It didn't have a huge impact in my games, which I suppose is a good thing, it's more of a subtle balancing act. Please try and tell me what you think.


Hi, that's an impressive number of games. 2 player?

Not sure its necessary as what would it do other than shift focus to green a bit? All designers must think about the balancing of things in their game. Why didn't UWE do this from the beginning? If you want to shift emphasis to green buildings being more valuable House Rule it. Obviously, you are free to alter the game as you want to make it more 'interesting' or 'fun' for you.

Andy


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Probably about 60 were 2p.

That's the whole idea, to make the green buildings slightly more attractive. Of course I can house rule this, but I'd like to read some other people's impressions after trying this.

I think that, using the normal rules, I buy a green building roughly (maybe at most) once every two games and I think a higher percentage would increase the replayability a bit (a trait I value very very highly in boardgames). Fwiw, my highest score was around 143.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Quichotte wrote:
Probably about 60 were 2p.

That's the whole idea, to make the green buildings slightly more attractive. Of course I can house rule this, but I'd like to read some other people's impressions after trying this.

I think that, using the normal rules, I buy a green building roughly (maybe at most) once every two games and I think a higher percentage would increase the replayability a bit (a trait I value very very highly in boardgames). Fwiw, my highest score was around 143.


I’d say you’ve played the crap out of this one already. Haha. Nice. Played twice two player. Best score is 149. Hers was 152. Hoping to play more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Don Quichotte wrote:
Probably about 60 were 2p.

That's the whole idea, to make the green buildings slightly more attractive. Of course I can house rule this, but I'd like to read some other people's impressions after trying this.

I think that, using the normal rules, I buy a green building roughly (maybe at most) once every two games and I think a higher percentage would increase the replayability a bit (a trait I value very very highly in boardgames). Fwiw, my highest score was around 143.


I’d say you’ve played the crap out of this one already. Haha. Nice. Played twice two player. Best score is 149. Hers was 152. Hoping to play more.

Two games in and you’re both hitting about 150? I strongly suspect you’re playing some rule wrong because that is pretty remarkable.

Edit: unless those are solo high scores.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas, OP. I play mostly with my wife and every game at least one green building is built, and sometimes 2... but even then they are not that great... maybe they do need a little buff on points or something...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K R X
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
medievalbanquet wrote:


I’d say you’ve played the crap out of this one already. Haha. Nice. Played twice two player. Best score is 149. Hers was 152. Hoping to play more.


I can safely say something is going against the rules in your games. It's going to be nearly impossible to score 152 points in a two player game unless the opponent is literally helping you by avoiding every single building you hope to build and action space you wish to take. At that point you're just playing a solo game.

I'd say scoring 152 in a staged solo game is pretty unlikely for anyone short of 10 games. I've never heard of anyone breaking 160 points in a solo game, and yes the solo game is completely solvable and some people have worked on doing that.

So getting 152 points in your first or second two player game? Not possible. Simply not possible.

My question would be, what were the losing player's scores? Because two people cannot collectively score over 280 points in this game. There are not enough points on the board. If one person is building so many buildings and items to score 150 points, then the other person has nothing but scraps left. Considering you two took turns getting insanely high scores, I'm going to assume the losing scores couldn't of been more than 20 points back.

Although now I'm curious... were you playing with the expansion? But that might radically change whats possible. I am still waiting for the NA distribution.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.