Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Yesterday I played Cardassians in my first ever 5 Player game of Star Trek Ascendancy! It was an eight hour epic, so I'll just mention a few highlights. Even though we had a new player, all of us had a great time, no one was eliminated, and everyone could see a victory on the horizon at different times.

The board set up was a large rectangle. Four of the positions on the long sides were 18" from one neighbor and 24" from a second. The fifth position on the short end was 24" away from both of his nearest neighbors. This adjustment seemed to work well to equalize the possibilities for expansion for all players.

I used my usual opening strategy of first exploring all four possible space lanes directly next to my home world, and thereby creating a development of systems still far from First Contact. As the Cardassians, even with Extra Starting Resources (and Focused Research) I knew it would take a while to get them going. This worked out fine, as I found four (and later five) cultural nodes. As with my first time as Cardassians, the Vlugta Asteroid Field appeared near by, and although I lost a couple of precious early ships to exploration perils, I eventually built and sent my Overseer Fleet over there, got that system developed, and was pulling in 8 production a turn!

On a board sector far, far away, the Klingons bid for the win first, attacking the newbie (actually his own son) and getting clobbered in the Federation's counter attack. Finally the Ferengi joined in to take his home world, and he never got it back.

On the other main front, the Romulan managed to take my home world on the final turn when he and I would tie for five Ascendancy, and because I couldn't rebuild a control node there that turn and technically didn't control it, even though I'd wiped him out and had ships in orbit, he won the game! This was sweet revenge for our previous game months ago, where he'd failed to take me out and I'd won. The Ferengi had attempted attacking his home planet on a huge board where we'd placed every system except 8 of them. The space traders needed to roll a two for a space lane connection and was prepared to keep rerolling his dice with many commands, but got it on the first try and invaded the Romulan home system! But the Romulan had so many defensive techs that the invader just failed to take him out (which would have meant another game turn for us all).

I consider the Cardassians the hardest faction to play, being handicapped by their requirement for garrisoning all of their production worlds, so I took them before a random pick of factions and board positions. As an exception, we gave the Feds to the newbie, as I consider them the easiest to play.

The Romulan player had so much tech that his final warp speed was awesome. I lost the bid to go before him, but made a good counterattack. Actually I almost had the game won, but ultimately failed, so the Cardies remain the only faction I haven't won a game with.

With the Borg arriving any day now, its time to throw them into the mix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Finally, First Five Player Frenzy!
Sounds like you had a great time!

We're hoping the Borg will arrive any day here and planning for a big game before the year is out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Finally, First Five Player Frenzy!
robot Yes, if the Borg come out this week, I'll probably try them with my holiday house guest--the guy who won the game summarized above!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.