Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my game yesterday and enjoyed a couple of plays, seems like there's a lot of strategic options here depending what weapons people pick. I have to say though, Second Wind seems like the no-brainer maneuver to take. The others seem underpowered by comparison. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Zini
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I'll play the game I will answer you. For the moment I'm happy you enjoy it because I'm a 'blind' backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dutter
msg tools
Second Wind is certainly one of the most straightforward cards, but personally my favorite is Feint. I’ve won many times busting out a sneaky Feint from a defend to an attack.

Likewise Armor can make a huge difference if played early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bendutter wrote:
Second Wind is certainly one of the most straightforward cards, but personally my favorite is Feint. I’ve won many times busting out a sneaky Feint from a defend to an attack.

Likewise Armor can make a huge difference if played early.

The other maneuvers are definitely powerful, especially when used correctly, but Second Wind just seems over the top compared to the rest. I mean, getting back a spent 5 Stamina card in nearly any situation seems like an amazing swing.

Feint is pretty vulnerable to bluffing as well. For example, I just played a game with a friend last night, and during one round I had initiative. I decided early in the round that I was going to Move, and that I didn't particularly care too much whether it resolved or not, but I was going to exploit my possession of initiative to make him think I was Defending, and going for high Force. I Acted on every play except Stance, for which I revealed Strong to give the impression I was going hard for a win that round, and Target, for which I picked the same Target as he to make him think I was Defending. I played two Stamina (and of course I played Move so I got to put a 5 down to protect it from what I assumed was an incoming Attack action, and a 1 to discard as trash to the cost of a Move I didn't particularly care about). Sure enough, after seeing Strong, a matched Target, and two Stamina cards, he played high force cards just like I wanted him to, and as an added bonus he played Feint to change his target, which was a complete waste because I was only moving anyway and had way less force down than him.

I didn't suspect he had taken the Feint Maneuver, I was honestly just trying to get him to spend some high Stamina cards. I wound up narrowly winning that game, even after making some mistakes in other rounds. FYI I had chosen armor for my Maneuver that game and so I also batted away the injury he was going to apply from that attack. It was a crazy swing.

Would love to hear more of your thoughts on the game, and input from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dutter
msg tools
That's a great strategy WookieLove (from both sides, it seems).

Armor is super strong because you can basically "throw" a round, intentionally draw an enemy to attack, disregard their Injury they'd give you and make them burn a bunch of high Stamina. In a way, I think Armor is almost the most overpowered card in the game.

I think Second Wind is pretty much nullified if the other person also takes it, whereas almost every other card is more situational. So, yes, SW is really strong (and one of the earliest cards that I had developed) but it's mainly based as a comeback mechanic. Without SW, a lot of very aggressive players would always lose which really encouraged just turtling up and trying to outlast your opponent in efficiency.

But with the uncertainty that SW is in the mix at any time, you have to be more opportunistic with your selections. It really does change the whole game, so it has a huge impact, but I don't think that it is wildly overpowered compared to the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now don't I seem like a jackass. I didn't realize I was speaking with the designer of the game.

The point about your opponent taking Second Wind is a good one which didn't occur to me. I've played, or watched friends play with my copy, a total of about six times since receiving the game, and I no longer feel that SW is the essential Maneuver. It's definitely a nasty card to pull out for a rope-a-dope strategy when your opponent thinks they've got you dead to rights and has whittled down your stamina deck and spent all their high value stamina cards doing so, and suddenly you bring back a 5.

FYI I'm very much enjoying your game and every time I play it I want to play it more to try out more strategies. I'm very impressed with all the nuances that are emerging out of a 12 dollar 1v1 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Second Wind is probably the easiest and most straightforward maneuver to use, but all of them are capable of turning the tide of a match. I've only played a few matches so far, but the uncertainty of what maneuver you might have up your sleeve is a lot scarier than any individual maneuver, and if you always pick Second Wind you lose that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
msg tools
Second Wind is a very safe obvious good card, but like already mentioned is nullified be your opponent also taking it. It can also just as easily be bluffed out.

I throw rounds quite often and had a few times were my opponent 2nd winded a 5 back against my sacrificed 1.

Armor is very strong for defensive players and always provides an obvious benefit.

Dash is good for aggressive play since you don't have to burn a turn to pick a weapon back up.

My favorite is feint. I have reliably scored a hit every time I use feint. It also sets me up well for the game since it helps to ignore initiative. With Feint, I bid 1 on initiative, retain my card. My opponent gets the choice to wait. When they wait on an action, I present defend then switch to Attack and usually nail them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.