Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules and now I'm wondering how much the deckbuilding mechanic is tied to the theme of the game.

I like Mage Knight's deckbuilding mechanic because gaining new cards is strictly tied to the theme:
- conquer a dungeon and you'll get an artefact
- conquer a Mage tower and you'll get a Spell
- interact and you'll recruit a unit

I dislike dominion (and the such) cause the deckbuilding is: discard this card to get a better one.

Will I like the deckbuilding aspect in a handful of stars? How tied is to the theme?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, your deck composition reflects your possessions on the board; so it’s neither like MK nor Dominion.

Take over a planet, get a card for that planet.
Lose a planet, lose the card.
Research a technology, put the card for the technology in your deck.

The technology cards let you do something when you play it or gives you an ability when you put it in your tableau.

The planet cards give you points to spend to perform actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deckbuilding in Handful builds on what Martin created for A Few Acres of Snow: which is to say, a thematic integration of the deckbuilding mechanic--though arguable it doesn't work quite as well here.

The deckbuilding is meant to reflect the delay between acquiring something and being able to use it--for example, new troops in A Few Acres of Snow had to not only travel across the Atlantic to reach the front (if not levied locally), but also had to overcome the reluctance of the Old World to properly commit to the conflict. Other abstracted concerns could accelerate/delay the arrival of the new resource.

So a card goes into your discard and, once you shuffle, you've got it--until used, the delay again reflecting the time needed to do whatever the card represents.

Does that make sense considering the interstellar distances of A Handful of Stars? Sure, why not? Makes as much sense as a Mage Knight anti-hero suddenly inexplicably forgetting how to fight or move (well) because your hand won't let you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:

how does this part feel? is this integrated with the theme or is it just a "forfeit your action (or a good use for a card) to improve your deck (and use your card as credit to purchase the card)"?
I understand that's not easy to understand what I mean, but any further comment is appreciated. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E

Florida
msg tools
mb
Soul_Guile wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:

how does this part feel? is this integrated with the theme or is it just a "forfeit your action (or a good use for a card) to improve your deck (and use your card as credit to purchase the card)"?
I understand that's not easy to understand what I mean, but any further comment is appreciated. thanks

It's more as you describe it imo. You have different currencies that buy different card types, spend research, get tech. It's a little better in this game given it is often a blocking move to your opponent too (there are only a subset of cards available at any time that rotate in as you buy the ones available), but is still simply "Use one of your actions, spend some research, pick a card". It sounds like you want something more of receiving a new card as a reward for an action vs saving up enough to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.