Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tile setup question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little unsure on something and wonder if someone can help please?

I presume in step 1 the 2nd tile placed is also random in that it doesn't matter whether it's circle to circle or square to square etc?

Going by the rules it also sounds like the 'dealer' is making these decisions. On this basis it seems that the 'dealer' essentially chooses the starting setup when I feel that maybe each player should be dealt a tile and then lay them in turn to create the starting setup.
Am I right in my thinking or am I missing something? And if I am right, is it OK to have each player in turn choose the tile placements instead?

Finally. Is there a reason the 3rd tile 'should' connect to the 2nd (and not the 1st again) and so on? It seems like an arbitrary ruling.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that each player has to line up the markings of the tile that they lay in respect to the one that The Kiln is on (forgot the name of the star/tile).

I swore that it mentioned that in the rules, but it could have been something that I read here on BGG at one point. I will have to look again. Either way, that is how we have always played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, the first sector is placed in a random orientation, then you orient each sector after that based on the matching edge symbol.

In the expansion (with the Nyr sector that has The Kiln), each setup tile matches the edge symbol on Nyr. This is as described in the setup rules.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ira I realise that but, for example, does the second tile placed match the square, or the circle, or the triangle etc or doesn't it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter, as long as you pick before revealing it. It functions just like scanning or blind jumping - pick the edge symbol first, then reveal and match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks.

But the other part of my question talked about the rules suggesting that there was a 'dealer' who lays the tiles out and it just seemed unfair to me that a single person was choosing the starting setup for everyone and I thought it made more sense for each player to get a starting tile to place to negate that unfairness and wondered if anyone agreed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no advantage to anyone picking the tile orientation - it's random. Can you explain what you mean in terms of advantage to any player with the orientation? Maybe there's still some confusion with the rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I am seeing it.
For a 4 player game, a player (the dealer) will deal out 4 tiles to the centre for the initial setup. This will be done as follows: that player will take a tile from the top of the tile stack and will place it down in the centre. That 'same' player will take a second tile and will choose whether to place that tile triangle to triangle, or square to square, or circle to circle etc. Essentially that player will have some decision in how the initial setup will look. And this would continue until all tiles are placed. And that is what I mean. The tile picked is random but the player (dealer) decided which symbols to match up.

Do you mean that the dealer should pick a symbol (determine orientation) 'before' picking up a tile thereby randomising it's placement before it is revealed? Re-reading your answer I guess that IS what you mean. But even in that case the dealer is still picking tile orientation for every tile placed (ie he is picking which symbol side of the previous tile placed to explore each time). He could also presumably choose to put all tiles in a line or instead put them down to look like the diagram in the rulebook. I just worry that the 'dealer' can somehow manipulate the starting setup to benefit how he likes to start the game. On this basis I felt that there should not be just 1 dealer and instead people take turns to do this.

Is that clearer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are doing setup correctly, the dealer shouldn't matter. Here's a 4-player base game example:

1) We know the shape we need to make from the rulebook.
2) Reveal 1 sector. This sector isn't assigned to any player yet.
3) Choose an edge symbol for the revealed sector. Reveal a 2nd sector and place it with the matching edge symbol. This new sector isn't assigned to any player yet.
4) Repeat step 3 until the correct shape is created for the number of players.
5) Randomly assign sectors to players.

This is per the rulebook.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Tim's answer below is even more precise and follows the rules exactly. Please use that, since that's what the rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mercer
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The initial set up (for the base game tiles) is on page 2 of the rule book. It clearly shows which tiles go where and which symbols they are linked by. They come from the top of the stack of shuffled tiles and it doesn't matter if they are drawn and placed by each player or dealt out (as suggested by the rule book) they still go in the same places and are linked by the symbols shown in the diagram.

Is this what you are asking?

2nd tile is linked to first by 'Y' shape
3rd tile is linked to 2nd by the 'Arrow' shape
4th tile is linked to 3rd by the 'square' shape
5th tile is linked to the 4th by the 'circle' shape

This is clearly shown in the rules.

*** edited with tile placements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your patience Ira. When you said "we know the shape we need to make from the rule book", things kinda clicked.

When it says in the rule book "lining up the edge symbols to the previously laid sector as shown" I took that to mean that the purpose of the diagram is to show examples of these edge symbols being connected. I did not realise that it was also saying that the resulting shape 'has' to follow the pattern in the diagram. That is where the bulk of the confusion has come from for me. Knowing this means that I can see how the dealer is not actually in control of the initial setup as I had thought.

And thanks Tim. What you said has sealed it. I also did not realise that the symbols were to be linked exactly as they were in the diagram. Of course, this makes it so that the dealer isn't in control of even the 2nd tile that is placed because it is always placed with the Y shape (again, I thought that the diagram was just an example and not the absolute way the tiles were to be placed).

Thank you all again for your time. I can't wait to play this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And thanks Tim. What you said has sealed it. I also did not realise that the symbols were to be linked exactly as they were in the diagram. Of course, this makes it so that the dealer isn't in control of even the 2nd tile that is placed because it is always placed with the Y shape (again, I thought that the diagram was just an example and not the absolute way the tiles were to be placed).

Quote:
2nd tile is linked to first by 'Y' shape
3rd tile is linked to 2nd by the 'Arrow' shape
4th tile is linked to 3rd by the 'square' shape
5th tile is linked to the 4th by the 'circle' shape
It's not this specific. This is fine as an example, but it doesn't go off these shapes in that order. Heck if you did that you might not even get the right starting shape.

In another man's words (mine): You fling (or gently place) the first sector onto the center of the table. Then you pick any symbol on the board, you point at it, you draw the next sector and match that symbol. You then pick any symbol and repeat this process, creating the shape.

For a 3 or 4 player game this is simple. You just go from sector 1 -> 2; then sector 2 -> 3; and then if there is a fourth, you know where it goes, and you know what symbol you have to come off of sector 3 -> 4. In fact you're not even choosing the symbol, the symbols you're going off of is basically forced by the shape you are making.

Clear as mud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does make sense for it to be that specific Calinor and you would always get the right starting shape.

If it wasn't that specific then the 'dealer' makes certain decisions for the starting setup that the other players don't or can't and that seems very wrong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been nearly an entire year since my response, and I have to wonder if you've played the game at all in that time. If you have, and this doesn't make sense to you as written, I'm not sure I can make it any clearly with written words.

It isn't dealers choice, because it's dictated by where you are placing the next tile. You flip a tile over onto the board (Tile #1). You do not spin it, or make any other attempt to orientate that tile. Then you decide where the next tile is going to be placed on the table in relation to the first tile. So you use whatever symbol is pointing that direction to orientate the next tile flipped. Then assuming 3 players, you place the final tile in the place that would make a triangle. Generally speaking I would go off tile #2s symbol pointing that direction since I'm placing them out rather quickly... but as long as you said out loud pointing to tile #1 and the symbol pointing to the same table space where the new tile would land... again it's random and it doesn't matter which tile you orient off of, just that you indicate which before flipping the new tile.

At no point was the "dealer" able to make any decisions.

With regards to the specificity of placing the tiles. You can not know which symbol you will be going off of in order to specifically say Triangle then Circle then Square. That is impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.