Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In GP I can't see any mention of how you should combine the terraforming power actions and relevant round booster for terraforming when taking a build mine action. I know that TM allows them to be used as part of the 'terraforming and build' action, but GP seemd to make no mention of this which leaves the default rules aactive: Terraform power actions are a separate action from build mine, which is obviously problematic (storing up terraforms virtually for a later mine build action). Is it somewhere in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
Redking wrote:
In GP I can't see any mention of how you should combine the terraforming power actions and relevant round booster for terraforming when taking a build mine action. I know that TM allows them to be used as part of the 'terraforming and build' action, but GP seemd to make no mention of this which leaves the default rules aactive: Terraform power actions are a separate action from build mine, which is obviously problematic (storing up terraforms virtually for a later mine build action). Is it somewhere in the rules?

Terraform and build mine definitely aren't separate actions. If you take the power action that gives you two terraforms for 5 power though you better use it on a planet two away because there's no terraform one planet to your color and build on the other planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me now, but if you look up the relevant power actions in the appendix I'm pretty sure it says something like "take a 'build a mine' action with X free terraforming steps".

So there's definitely no "storing up terraforms virtually".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "Terraforming action" in Gaia Project.

Actions you can take are
- "Build a Mine"
- "Power Action"
- "Special Action"

(Purple) Power actions or (orange) Special Actions which grant Terraforming steps or temporary range boost also grant a "Build a Mine" action to be used in this turn. "Build a Mine" allows you to spend ore the required terraforming steps.

Some examples:
- You are at Terraforming Level 0. You can take a "Build a mine" action, pay 3 Ore to terraform once and build on a planet that is one Terraforming step away.
- You are at Terraforming Level 0. You can take the Power action with 2 Terraforming steps, additionally pay 3 ore to in total terraform three times and build on a planet that is three Terraforming step away.
- You cannot combine Special actions and power actions.
- You cannot terraform without building. If you take an action that grants Terraforming steps but can't use all of them, then the superfluous steps are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions that give you terraformings are just "build mine" actions with free terraforming steps. When you take such an action, you immediately have to build a mine somewhere and can save as many terraforming steps as you're being given by the action you took.
Different actions that give you free terraformings cannot be combined and the terraforming steps cannot be saved up for later.

The rules talk about the restrictions in the back of the book, where the special actions and rounds boosters are explained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in the rules from chapter "1) Build a mine":
Quote:
If the planet is not habitable,
you must pay any costs required to make it habitable.

Quote:
Some power actions and special actions provide free
terraforming steps. When taking these actions, do not pay the
cost of those terraforming steps. These actions are explained on
pages 15 and 16. If those steps are not enough to make a planet
habitable, you can spend ore to perform additional steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read those excerpts but they don't seem to clarify things: The answer is actually on page 23 in the details for those actions. On page 12 there is mention of terraforming bonus actions, and they say explanation is on page 15 and 16, but no mention of the key page 23 rule is present. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redking wrote:
I have read those excerpts but they don't seem to clarify things: The answer is actually on page 23 in the details for those actions. On page 12 there is mention of terraforming bonus actions, and they say explanation is on page 15 and 16, but no mention of the key page 23 rule is present. :-(

I am a bit confused. The explanation for action number six "6) Power and Q.I.C. Actions" on page 15 is quite short, gives the general rules about how and when to use the actions and ends with the sentence "The action spaces are explained in the appendix on page 23"
Is that not so in your version of the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question regarding the terraforming power actions. In the rules they say that the action grants a build mine action. Does this also mean that the player does not have to spend 1 ore and 2 credits for building the mine? My initial expecation would be that the mine has to be paid, of course, but when reading the rules very (mabye too) carefully, it could be that the mine is for free.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
kent_bro wrote:
I have another question regarding the terraforming power actions. In the rules they say that the action grants a build mine action. Does this also mean that the player does not have to spend 1 ore and 2 credits for building the mine? My initial expecation would be that the mine has to be paid, of course, but when reading the rules very (mabye too) carefully, it could be that the mine is for free.

You still pay for the mine. It's basically just a regular "Build Mine" action except you get one or two Terraforming steps without having to pay for the steps. You still have to pay for the mine itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.