Subject: What's new in the new version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest BGG News post mentioned a new version coming out with a new cover image. Any details on what else is new in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bienert
Germany
Gaimersheim
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Game's Up / Lookout Games
mbmbmb
Hi,

Besides new art work there will be some minor changes in game balance. Furthermore, an expansion will be included allowing the players to lead a tribe with special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vogel
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an estimated time of arrival for the new version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raedwulf wrote:
there will be some minor changes in game balance

Where do those changes appear?

Could owners of the first edition implement them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vogel
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vogelap wrote:
Is there an estimated time of arrival for the new version?

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now at coolstuff. Are there more details on the changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how do we tell the difference between versions? Complete Strategist in NYC just got some copies in today, but the box didn't say "2nd printing", nor that it had a mini expansion, so I didn't leap on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
Also, how do we tell the difference between versions? Complete Strategist in NYC just got some copies in today, but the box didn't say "2nd printing", nor that it had a mini expansion, so I didn't leap on it.

The box art is completely different. This is the one to look for:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Peters
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have the original. Should I use the new rules for game balance. Does anybody know the specific changes, or maybe somebody could post the new rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamelady2 wrote:
I have the original. Should I use the new rules for game balance. Does anybody know the specific changes, or maybe somebody could post the new rulebook?

If you're still curious, the rules are up on the Cryptozoic site,
https://www.cryptozoic.com/arrival-martin-wallace
Click on the "Learn to play" button.

I just played the new version. I haven't played the old version but I just scanned the rules. Unless I missed something, there's not much difference but it could impact gameplay somewhat.

Things that I noticed:
Players only have 15 buildings now instead of 17.
Shields are limited to the providence bonus value now instead of a flat three.
The Song of the Bard tactic was changed to -2 corruption from -3.

General observations:
The triangular tiles look cool but start to peel as soon as you touch them.
The new rules have lots of unnecessary pretty pictures that just take up space and make it more difficult to find specific rules. They took a full page to graphically illustrate how to flip over cards. I'm not sure who their target audience was here but I'm pretty sure most gamers that are willing to look past the ridiculous box art because it's a Martin Wallace game will figure that out pretty quickly. It's a couple of short sentences in the older rules which was more than sufficient.
The "advanced" mini expansion is cool. It gives you strategic path right at the start which is always a good thing. I'm not convinced that they are at all balanced but that's fine. I'm not sure why they call it "advanced". They don't really add much more complexity but whatever.

Since you have the original already, there's not much reason to buy this one. With the exception of the "advanced" cards, you could play with the rules changes with your current set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Just kidding!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vliam wrote:
The new rules have lots of unnecessary pretty pictures that just take up space and make it more difficult to find specific rules. They took a full page to graphically illustrate how to flip over cards.

The rulebook is much better.

It's very well-organized, with large and colorful headings. You basically have two full pages dedicated to each portion of the game. The first two pages, the components. You turn the page and you get two pages of the setup + the basics of the game. Turn it again and you have two pages of the Earning phase with clear examples. Turn it again and you have the four main Actions all laid out in 4 neat columns. Turn it again, you have additional actions and the end-game stuff.

It's much clearer and better laid out than the original's rulebook. As a designer, I think they did a fantastic job and I'm honestly surprised to see people hating on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vliam wrote:

Things that I noticed:
Players only have 15 buildings now instead of 17.

Actually, there are 17 discs in the first edition, 2 of which are used for the corruption and honor tracks, so the number of buildings is the same across both editions.

vliam wrote:

General observations:
The triangular tiles look cool but start to peel as soon as you touch them.

The triangular tiles are indeed flimsy and feel like they won't last very long. The square tiles actually fare better in practical usage.

One thing we found to be an issue, when playing with the second edition, is that the sword tile looks very similar to the red building tile, so that the red player frequently confused the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences concerning the tribal traits? The promo for the first edition has 7 abilities, only 6 are included with the second edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.