13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A Game of twisted trickery, conflict and control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
- -
msg tools
A Game of twisted trickery, conflict and control

Hello! I have been looking for a new game for my group. Maybe something like in the title, but let me explain in more detail what we have played and enjoyed so far. We have been enjoying quite a much of Cosmic Encounter for past several years. Other games we have liked and have some elements we are looking for now are Eclipse, Game of Thrones (The Board Game Second Edition) and Blood Rage.

We might be looking for a game that has bluffing, trickery and countering elements from Cosmic Encounter. But maybe with dudes on a map and territory control. We would like it to work well with at least 3 players but also with more.

Some of my personal preferences.

Cosmic Encounter. I like the feeling when someone seems to have a plan to only see it crushed by some surprising crazy ability. Total game changing tricks. You never expect the Spanish Inquisitors. Gets everyone exited and aloud.

Eclipse, Game of Thrones. Expanding and enhancing your territory while politics hit the table with deceit, bluffs and some times brotherly alliances in a drunken mood.

Blood Rage. Dudes on a map, territory control. Cool idea to get your own units dead to score on some occations. Makes you think differently. Fun, but there seems to be quite a lot of "running leader" syndrome. You really need to know the drafting cards in-and-out to get the most of the game. The game seems to favor those who play good start and they keep rolling stronger faster.

I have looked little bit here and there. How would you recommend Cry Havoc or Inis to me, while considering what traits from other games I brought up? Cry Havoc seems to be straight up territory control game with asymmetric armies. All good, but is there any trickery cards? Inis seems to have some counter cards or I'm not really sure and I don't know the details how they play out. Can you do any last moment life changing moves in Inis or in Cry Havoc? Counter something which would otherwise let a player obviously win otherwise but so that the opponent would not expect it so easily?

And please recommend any other games which might fit the bill. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this and immediately thought "if you have 6p, then Dune." Same designers as CE, dripping with theme.

I'm not sure Inis has the "feel" you're looking for. My games have been much less "in your face" and more about subtle maneuvering (in the open) for the final strike. Alliances tend to be about shutting down the current leader. But that could be my relative inexperience with the game.

I also have a very different, and likely off-base, rec: Pax Porfiriana. Certainly not dudes on a map, but cutthroat economic tableau-building (and assassination tearing-down), area majority. It's very unlike the games you mention, but shares a lot in how you interact with the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb

How does this one sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus 1 for Pax Porfiriana. I dont think it's too offbeat for the OP either - great reccomondation.

Pax Renaissance has a bit more of a spatial element to it, but is arguably a bit more thinky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
Hmm Dune. I rechecked and yes it seems to have kind of reimplementation done as game named as "Rex: Final Days of an Empire". Any comments on that? Yeah looking thru forums Dune seems to have interesting things for me. Also thanks for everyone for other recommendations, need to check. Dune and Rex are something I was little bit of aware of before and they do seem interesting. But I haven't really looked into them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
We have played Scythe even with seven players. But to get more then 5 is more rare. Main group is usually 3 to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
Also ofcourse there is Twilight Imperium 4th ed., which would tick a lot of boxes but that.. that is way too long game as far as I understand. If the game can be played in five hours, then great. But TI seems to be more like a life style, hah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twisted trickery, conflict and control?? Junta of course!

Of course Diplomacy (but then you need a dedicated group of 6-7 players that have enough time on their hands)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
estus_800 wrote:
We might be looking for a game that has bluffing, trickery and countering elements from Cosmic Encounter. But maybe with dudes on a map and territory control. We would like it to work well with at least 3 players but also with more.

In the older game of Santiago all players place tiles onto the board/map. These tiles represent fields planted with crops that score when harvested.

Each round ONE player places sticks to represent irrigation piping so that the fields will grow. That player is open to suggestion ... such as offers of money or promises of return favors ... which the offering player might or might not actually hold themselves to fulfilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall is the twistedest, back stabbinest, brutalest area control game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal

New Angeles

I'm the Boss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
I checked that video about Archipelago and the original review mentioned in that video. Seems really interesting! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
estus_800 wrote:
Also ofcourse there is Twilight Imperium 4th ed., which would tick a lot of boxes but that.. that is way too long game as far as I understand. If the game can be played in five hours, then great. But TI seems to be more like a life style, hah.

5 hours for 5 players of TI4 is par for the course, I think. The caveat is that if you have even a single player who takes too long in other games, in TI4 this will be even worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.