Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final scoring "Owns the most structures that are part of federations" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
In regards to the final scoring objective:
Quote:
"Owns the most structures that are part of federations"

The rule on page 14 states:
Quote:
"When colonizing planets directly adjacent to one of your
federations, these new planets enlarge the existing federation
without any advantage for you."

The rule both states that the planet enlarges the federation (and thus is part of it) which is an advantage to me for that final scoring AND that this happens without any advantage to me.

So which is it? In this scenario, would the structures on those planets count toward the final scoring or not? (If not, how is that tracked?)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It counts for Most Structures in Federations.

The rule should probably read like this.
Quote:
When colonizing planets directly adjacent to one of your
without any advantage for you except for the final scoring objective most structures in a federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules sadly have some inaccuracies...

Regarding "Owns the most structures that are part of federations"

the sentence should be:
with an advantage for you."

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
Germany
Zweibrücken
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
they count as they are now a part of the federation. The statement of "without any advantage" probably refers to the moment of colonizing. At that point, it doesnt give you advantages.

It would otherwise also be a mess to try and keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:

the sentence should be:

Oh snap, that's indeed different... Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I suppose other advantages could be gained... if the round scoring was build mine or build mine on gaia (for gaia and former transdim planets) scoring.

The relevant part is that this discussion is Federations only so that's the only benefit that can be gained by enlarging the Federation.

Keep in mind that Ivits Der Schwarm (The Swarm) pretty much breaks this rule as they only have 1 federation that must grow larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so it is the case, I presume, that that planet cannot be a part of a future federation declared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Without any advantage" is a bit of a misleading phrase. What is meant is that you cannot gain any more federation tokens by enlarging an existing federation, not that you can't gain any advantage from it (the advantage could also be score for building, other final scoring objectives, extra ore from the new mine etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "no immediate advantage for you" would be fitting, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, the German rules claim the same thing as the English rules, i.e. both forget about the potential advantage towards a final scoring of structures in federations.
Quote:
Planeten, welche ihr später in direkter Nachbarschaft zu einer bestehenden Allianz kolonisiert, vergrößern diese Allianz (ohne dass
ihr dadurch einen Vorteil erhaltet)
und können nicht Teil einer anderen Allianz werden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:

the sentence should be:

Is it weird to want to tell a deigner that they’re answering a question about their own game wrong? blush

...because this answer doesn’t make any sense.

Based on doc’s post that the German wording matches the English, it seems pretty clear that this wasn’t a translation error or a typo that switched “with” to “without.” It seems clear to me that this sentence is just trying to say that enlarging an existing federation carries to inherent benefit. It’s not talking at all about other potential benefits that come from building a structure in general or having X structures.

So the statement as written isn’t wrong, it’s just too vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the context in the rule book is that it’s disadvantageous to expand a federation in general. One faction benefits from expanding a federation, and the end-game bonus for structures within a federation also takes into account expansions. Still, I think it’s very obvious what the intent of the verbiage is, although the “with no advantage for you” should have simply been omitted. An explanation of how structures used for expansion cannot (in most cases) be used to form a new federation may have been more appropriate, although that seems unnecessary as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Horologiom wrote:

the sentence should be:

Is it weird to want to tell a deigner that they’re answering a question about their own game wrong? blush

...because this answer doesn’t make any sense.

Based on doc’s post that the German wording matches the English, it seems pretty clear that this wasn’t a translation error or a typo that switched “with” to “without.” It seems clear to me that this sentence is just trying to say that enlarging an existing federation carries to inherent benefit. It’s not talking at all about other potential benefits that come from building a structure in general or having X structures.

So the statement as written isn’t wrong, it’s just too vague.

My experience is that sadly in some cases details of the rules were lost in translation. I don't recall all the exact wordings of the German rules (and don't look them up, I know the rules). So even after proofreading the German rules several times inaccuracies still could be found blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
"Without any advantage" is a bit of a misleading phrase. What is meant is that you cannot gain any more federation tokens by enlarging an existing federation, not that you can't gain any advantage from it (the advantage could also be score for building, other final scoring objectives, extra ore from the new mine etc.)

This.

And considering the translation: We put "without an advantage to you" in brackets in german and tried hard to only put explanatory text in brackets, not rules text. But the phrase is not in brackets in the english version which certainly added to the confusion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
And considering the translation: We put "without an advantage to you" in brackets in german and tried hard to only put explanatory text in brackets, not rules text.
Good to know. I'm afraid this rule design intention went unnoticed by most readers - I know I didn't see it until reading your quoted text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How does this scoring tile work exactly for Ivits?

If I build buildings such that I have a power value of 21 and federate 3 times over the game, but in the last round build 2 more mines on planets adjacent to my federation giving a power value of 23, do the mines count as part of the federation or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashman88 wrote:

If I build buildings such that I have a power value of 21 and federate 3 times over the game, but in the last round build 2 more mines on planets adjacent to my federation giving a power value of 23, do the mines count as part of the federation or not?

Yes, just because they aren’t enough to score another federation doesn’t make them not part of the Ivits mega federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bokken B
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Nashman88 wrote:

this is a good question, I could see the reason for confusion. I'll be sure to add this into the FAQ.

But yes, any building directly adjacent to any of your federations (buildings or satellites) on any race (including Ivits) Count as structures in your federation. Ivits simply have the option to federate whenever the structures in their mega federation can reach a power value of a multiple of 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.