Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can interpret this correctly, but I wanted to ask the collective intelligence of the BGG Community.
For Resources and Final Scoring, the rule has a "any combination" clause that I would like clarified...

The rule, page 18:
Gain 1 VP for every 3 credits, knowledge, or ore you
have (in any combination).

So if we take an example of 4 credits, 4 knowledge, and 4 ore we could count this 2 possible ways (I think "B" is correct?)

A. 1 VP for up to 3 credits, 1 VP for up to 3 knowledge, and 1 VP for up to 3 ore = 3 VP

B. 4 credits + 4 knowledge + 4 ore (in any combination) = 12. 12/3 = 4 VP.

Is B correct? If so, perhaps an easier way to visualize this is to add together all credits, all knowledge, and all ore, then divide by 3 and round down.
Any clarification is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
I think I can interpret this correctly, but I wanted to ask the collective intelligence of the BGG Community.
For Resources and Final Scoring, the rule has a "any combination" clause that I would like clarified...

The rule, page 18:
Gain 1 VP for every 3 credits, knowledge, or ore you
have (in any combination).

So if we take an example of 4 credits, 4 knowledge, and 4 ore we could count this 2 possible ways (I think "B" is correct?)

A. 1 VP for up to 3 credits, 1 VP for up to 3 knowledge, and 1 VP for up to 3 ore = 3 VP

B. 4 credits + 4 knowledge + 4 ore (in any combination) = 12. 12/3 = 4 VP.

Is B correct? If so, perhaps an easier way to visualize this is to add together all credits, all knowledge, and all ore, then divide by 3 and round down.
Any clarification is appreciated.

B is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since QIC converts to ore at a 1:1 rate as a free action, you may as well include any remaining QIC in the total count of resources as well.

After all, the whole point of this rule is to avoid the weirdness that happened at the end of each game of TM where every player spent their last action converting all remaining resources to gold before they pass to get the extra points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Terra Mystica rules - which amount to exactly the same thing - are more explicit on this. There it is stated that you get 1 VP for every 3 coins (=credits) that you have left - but that you can convert all other resources into coins (at the usual 1:1 rate) before doing so.

Also: do power tokens in bowl 3 (after possible "burning" of power to move tokens from 2 to 3) not count? They certainly did in TM - and I thought I read in the GP rules that they did so here as well. We certainly played that they did in my only game of GP so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
After all, the whole point of this rule is to avoid the weirdness that happened at the end of each game of TM where every player spent their last action converting all remaining resources to gold before they pass to get the extra points.

There was no such weirdness in TM. All such conversions were explicitly allowed before final scoring. Note that this meant that any power you gained from other players after passing could be converted to coins - which very occasionally could make a difference, but would not be counted if as you say all conversions had to be done before passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. I never played TM (for some reason it just never clicked with me) and Gaia is sitting under the tree waiting to be opened. So, I spend Christmas Eve reading the rules online! soblue (and a little time with my family)whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, it just simplifies it. Remember you can convert 1 knowledge for 1 coin, or 1 ore for 1 coin. This just means you dont need to go through that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
The Terra Mystica rules - which amount to exactly the same thing - are more explicit on this. There it is stated that you get 1 VP for every 3 coins (=credits) that you have left - but that you can convert all other resources into coins (at the usual 1:1 rate) before doing so.

It is exactly the same way in Gaia Project: You are allowed to convert (this includes burning power) everything into VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero 164
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont forget to shift power to money as well, including sacrificing power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:
robinz wrote:

It is exactly the same way in Gaia Project: You are allowed to convert (this includes burning power) everything into VPs.

Am I correct in understanding that power charged even after you have passed may be converted into credits immediately before the final scoring?

This was not in the written rules (at least not in my memory), and I wanted to make sure that this is what you intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
Horologiom wrote:

Am I correct in understanding that power charged even after you have passed may be converted into credits immediately before the final scoring?
Yes. If you pass in round 6 with e.g. your only three power tokens in bowl II, and after that accept three power charges of 1, your three power tokens will end up in bowl III, being worth 1 VP. Of course, if you received even more offers of power charging, you can't accept them since after passing you cannot do a power-to-coin direct conversion.

Only power offers of 1 will be attractive to take - a 2-for-1 (or worse) offer is in best case neutral for your VP, in worst case it costs you 1+ VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.