United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
His base will likely get bigger.

The good news is - this is unlikely when you're looking at the tax cuts. They're less popular than a number of tax hikes were in the past. The public doesn't think they're appropriate, probably because the debt has been such a big deal in elections.

It's possible that his base grows for other reasons, but even that seems hard to buy with the way his approval rating scrapes the bottom of the barrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, he's also saying the same thing to the middle class. And the poor.

Sadly, I think this is the only one that isn't merely bluster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I just got richer!!!!!bag

At the expense of whom? Because I'm sure you don't think the bill generated wealth. So that money came from somewhere. Who lost out so you could gloat over a few hundred bucks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

The tax cut is funded by increased borrowing. Does taking out a loan mean you got richer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, Trump would have said that whether it was true or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Good thing that Police Departments are funded by patriotism and Christmas magic!

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Good news is that his base has gotten smaller.(although still a depressingly large number of complete morons)
His base will likely get bigger. You're forgetting that a depressingly large number of morons also just got richer by $800 each. It's a veritable lottery for them. Now they'll be able to buy that new tv so that when they are home sick with cancer and can't afford the treatment/healthcare they can all, at least, cheer him on in 4k! MAGA m'er effers! shake zombie

The $800 number is for couples with around a median income. For the 50% below that the gains fall off really fast. The bottom 20% get almost nothing as far as tax cuts and when combined with the cuts to various welfare programs they end up in the negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
The bottom 20% get almost nothing as far as tax cuts and when combined with the cuts to various welfare programs they end up in the negative.

This is the crux of it; people are going to be handed a few hundred dollars of obvious money in a tax cut, but that will be far outweighed by the cuts to various services and programs. I know between the cuts to healthcare and student loan forgiveness programs, a lot of my friends are not bullish on their futures.

...which I guess isn't so different from the time he cut a ton of money from the National Parks budget and then made a big deal of handing them an oversized check for a fraction of the amount he cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Good thing that Police Departments are funded by patriotism and Christmas magic!

the rich are never going to stop funding the police, because the police are their most fundamental control mechanism for the lower classes: raw, naked force

there's a lot of labour theory about how police unions cannot be considered on par with any other union, particularly given the history of enthusiastic police oppression of other union movements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People keep calling Trump’s supporters morons, but they’re not morons.

They’re racists. Bigots. Homophobes.

They’re single-issue voters and their single-issue is white supremacy. Viewed through that lens (with a seasoning of Fox News), why wouldn’t they support Trump and the tax bill? Even if they *don’t* see a tax cut, they’ll *believe* they saw one, and *insist* on it when challenged.

Oh, and the OP’s story about Trump telling guests at the winter White House that they’re going to make a lot of money? Fake news, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.