Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've heard there is one at the main BGG.Con. Wondering if there might be one at the May 2018 con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
With the more compressed schedule and fewer attendees, we've not had one at BGG.Spring yet. I don't mine running one if there's enough interest. In fact I might try out my ideas for running a duplicate tournament...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplicate sounds awesome! And regular would be fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
I might try out my ideas for running a duplicate tournament...

With pictures of the hands at each seat for reconstructing the hands after play? It would be a significant change to play and score Tichu while keeping the hands separate as I have seen in duplicate bridge. Although you would only need four stacks in front of each player to indicate who won those cards because the number of tricks doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. Additionally, how about some player mats with NSEW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot will be based on Jeff Goldsmith's excellent work here:
http://www.jeff-goldsmith.org/tichu/DuplicateTichu.html

I do plan to include Grand Tichu calls, probably with an initial card for each player listing their first 8 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm first 8 should be identical or it isn't truly duplicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Tichu for the first time last night. I'll be at BGG.Spring. I think there might be some kind of connection here. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
Just played Tichu for the first time last night. I'll be at BGG.Spring. I think there might be some kind of connection here. whistle

Right. Our game group might have a team and a half of toothless sharks, ready for Tichu minnows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all,

I'm a friend of Ien's and just wanted to chip in with my experience of running a duplicate tournament. We have run about 3-4 successful tournaments but it is a *significant* amount of work to get it to run smoothly.

Here's what we did:
Before the tournament we set up a predtermined hands (with 10 or so pairs we used about 21 boards, I think) into bridge boards. For each hand, the table was given a large envelope with the following
1. 4 small envelopes containing a picture of the the 8 starting cards for each player. It's important that people look at the correct envelope for this .
2. a larger envelope with the printout of the entire hand. This will be used after the hand to reset it.
3. a scoring sheet (this later got replaced by an app we wrote to ease the work).

So at the start of each hand, the players look at the small envelopes and decide on the Grand Tichu calls. We've had some complaints about synchronicity, so to make it fair we actually started giving each player two cards. One meaning yes call, one meaning no call. Each player places their card face down, and once everyone is ready the cards are flipped over. To avoid the scenario of two partners calling a Grand Tichu, if that happens only the North and the East partner's GT is recorded.
After the that the hand proceeds normally and once the hand is done the boards are reset. Rinse, repeat.

At the end of the game score as you would in bridge. Both match points and IMPs work out really well.

Some things that I found to be tricky, the hard way:
1. Unfortunately there's no good way to reuse bridge software for scoring. After doing this once by hand, I wound up writing an appengine app where all participants can enter their own scores into a centralized database that calculates the scores correctly. Seriously, bridge scoring by hand is no joke.

2. Movements are slightly tricky but can generally be reused from bridge.

3. To maintain fairness there must to be a director and there really should be a way to deal with situations that went wrong. No matter how foolproof you make things, people will set up the board in an incorrect way (North cards in the East slot, etc). There needs to be a mechanism to deal with it (think AVG+, AVG-, in bridge, etc).

4. Timing is tricky. Bridge players play fast because that's the norm for tournaments, but Tichu players aren't usually prepared for this and so after every round, folks have to wait around for the straggling pair. Warning folks about playing fast is always a good idea.

Anyways, I think these are the main pain points I remember off the top of my head. In general, duplicate Tichu is super fun and an interesting way of making the game fair in a span of one tournament. If this sounds interesting, I'm happy to talk more about our experiences.

Cheers,
Anna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for such an informative post. I am very much interested in the 2 pictures you mentioned, one for the first 8 and one for the entire hand used to set up for the next hand. These pictures are absolutely the best ideas I've ever heard to create a fun and fair duplicate Tichu tournament!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a picture of a typical hand, printed out on one page. The top 4 pictures are the first 8 for the four teams and the bottom is the set up for everyone.

Sorry for the very small version, but I don't have access to anything but an old PDF at the moment. We wrote a random hand generator to make these, so all we had to do was print them out and cut out the different parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would play! 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on the Tichu Tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will be running a duplicate Tichu event on Sunday afternoon from noon to 4pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on past tournaments, is it feasible for a person to pick up a partner as the event starts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we will pair up any singles at the start of the tournament. We've never done this at Spring before so I have no idea what the turnout is going to be, but in the Fall there is usually one or two singles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone to participating in our event!

Here's my writeup:
Duplicate Tichu at BGG.Spring 2018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.