Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
mbmbmbmbmb
After an adventure that went badly, the Frontier Doc emerged (fled) from the mines with no gold, no darkstone, and one mine artifact. He had the Doc’s Bag and the Surgeon’s Saw as starting items.

We had to roll once on the Travel Hazard’s chart and rolled Bandits! Doc’s bandit roll was a 2. Having no gold or darkstone, the only thing Doc could lose to the bandits was artifacts and gear. He lost the mine artifact, but the question arose whether he had to also lose both starting gear items.

According to the official FAQ:

When called on to discard an Item (by an event or Travel
Hazard, for instance), a Hero may NOT choose to discard
a Starting Item (though a Starting Item MAY be lost when
discarding a ‘Random Item’).

Since the Doc’s starting items were the only available items to lose, it didn’t seem like he was “choosing” to lose them. But neither was this a random discard. So neither case in the FAQ seemed to apply.

What do you all think? Does Doc lose or keep his starting items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe not choosing to discard a starting item means if you have other items available to discard first?

I say he loses the starting items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chibigouazou wrote:
After an adventure that went badly, the Frontier Doc emerged (fled) from the mines with no gold, no darkstone, and one mine artifact. He had the Doc’s Bag and the Surgeon’s Saw as starting items.

We had to roll once on the Travel Hazard’s chart and rolled Bandits! Doc’s bandit roll was a 2. Having no gold or darkstone, the only thing Doc could lose to the bandits was artifacts and gear. He lost the mine artifact, but the question arose whether he had to also lose both starting gear items.

According to the official FAQ:

When called on to discard an Item (by an event or Travel
Hazard, for instance), a Hero may NOT choose to discard
a Starting Item (though a Starting Item MAY be lost when
discarding a ‘Random Item’).

Since the Doc’s starting items were the only available items to lose, it didn’t seem like he was “choosing” to lose them. But neither was this a random discard. So neither case in the FAQ seemed to apply.

What do you all think? Does Doc lose or keep his starting items?

Normally I'd say the Starting Items can't be lost, period, but since they can be lost as random items, I would also say they can be lost as last resorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, dudes! If that’s the outcome, then I’ve got a Level One Frontier Doc with a concussion, 0 gold, 0 darkstone, no Doc Bag, no weapon, no tokens, and no items. Seems like I would be better off scrapping him and his 215 XP and starting a new hero! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
That would seem to be the case. There were some questions in the FAQ about replacing the starting gear for prospectors. You could rule by extension, if you wish, that similar mechanics apply to other characters too. A doctor without a doctor bag can't practice his profession, so it seems reasonable he should be able to acquire another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chibigouazou wrote:
Oh, dudes! If that’s the outcome, then I’ve got a Level One Frontier Doc with a concussion, 0 gold, 0 darkstone, no Doc Bag, no weapon, no tokens, and no items. Seems like I would be better off scrapping him and his 215 XP and starting a new hero! :cry:

I wonder how far he would he in town with no money. Can anyone else in the Posse give/lend him stuff to tide him over? He might strike lucky with a freebie, but a reboot is probably a good idea,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say create a one off adventure (maybe use the rules for finding the healing fountain in Jargano) that results in a character retrieving their starting item. One time, one try.... Keep the adventure going that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
That would seem to be the case. There were some questions in the FAQ about replacing the starting gear for prospectors. You could rule by extension, if you wish, that similar mechanics apply to other characters too. A doctor without a doctor bag can't practice his profession, so it seems reasonable he should be able to acquire another one.

Yeah, the faq states that any starting item may be replaced in town(at any town location) for cost listed on the card. Sounds like you may be playing a solo doc, if so that is a tall order. Otherwise, the rest of the posse won't get your healing if you don't get your equipment back so I wouldn't scrap the character unless you were solo. Think of the butterfly effect, not creating a new doc might result in some phenomenal successes.

Plus concussion goes away after one adventure so I think your Doc is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
I say create a one off adventure (maybe use the rules for finding the healing fountain in Jargano) that results in a character retrieving their starting item. One time, one try.... Keep the adventure going that way!

Thanks, I like this idea! I am planning to play the Shootout in the Streets mission, with the idea that we are chasing after the bandits who just robbed our stuff. I will add as an additional reward the option of drawing a Loot card or regaining everything the hero lost to the bandits during the Travel Hazard event. Still not certain how a Frontier Doc with no gear, artifacts, or tokens wii fare, but we’ll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't choose to discard a starting item.

That means if called on to choose an item to lose, and you only have a dr bag, you lose nothing.

Pretty simple.

Cmon guys, first level characters wth no gear have it hard enough, this is a itty bitty buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal items can definitely not be lost in any way, but other starting items can be lost.

Strictly speaking even without any equipment he will still have his basic combat value to fight with in melee and work from there.

Im really curious though, how you can get 215xp without a single piece of gold? Seems rather impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Im really curious though, how you can get 215xp without a single piece of gold? Seems rather impossible.

It’s quite possible. A bit of healing other heroes, quite a bit of damage to two elite, double-health XL monsters (one of which we killed, the other from which we fled), (bad) luck of the draw on Loot and Scavenge cards . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.