Jeremy Le Saulnier
msg tools
I have one core set I bought for solo play. I have a few friends that have expressed interest in playing with me. I have not bought any of the expansions yet. I was wondering/hoping if I just bought the dunwich expansion and its ancillaries that I would have enough cards for 3 or 4 players. Does anyone know if this would work or what snags I would hit doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'll be playing with 3 or 4, I strongly recommend the second core. It's not impossible to play with a single core plus Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy: Expansion (primarily using characters from the latter), but it will really limit your options for designing decks.

Also, the extra supply of tokens is useful at higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the second core, especially playing with 3+. The core is still the most rich source of some key card types (especially for Mystics), and token counts become thin when playing with more than 2. Deck building also becomes a lot more free when building for 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 can definitely be done as long as you don't use two Investigators that share a class. Roland and Skids, for example, both use Guardian cards, and it would be very hard to give them both even mediocre decks. You'd be playing on Easy (which works well) and having very restricted character selection and deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest snag you will hit is lack of clue tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would work but you would hit some snags. If you look through the cards you got with the core set you will notice that many of them only came with 1 copy of each. Since you are allowed 2 of an individual card in each deck a lot of people here would recommend you get 2 cores right off the bat.
You also have to consider that while you'd have enough for a 3 or 4 player game with the xpac and some scenarios, some players might have to fill out their deck with cards that they dislike or are less than ideal.

Lack of clue tokens could also be an issue but you can easily substitute those, or purchase extra 3rd party ones on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, definitely. It is nice to have two combat spells instead of one for mystic... etc. So second core is really usefull to play some of the investigators. And Also if you have more players it is nice to have more of those certain neutral cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The product page says 1-2 players with one core, upto 4 players with two. They knew what they were doing when they decided on those numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is necessary for a good experience.

Do not even consider playing with four with only a single core set.

You will be disappointed and frustrated if you try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Deas
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have two friends who are interested, a good option may be to let them play your core decks in a two player scenario while you lead the rules and help them along. If they have a good time, you might suggest that one or both of them might want to consider getting a core of their own. There's no reason that you have to take all the financial burden of playing the game onto yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people say yes, I said meh. I played 4 players with one core and most of dunwich. We played on normal though and I wouldn't have gone higher with such mixed decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.