Subject: Cavalry and Isolation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ducoulombier Romain
France
Dunkirk
flag msg tools
Hi
My opponent managed to send and take Zanesville (Ohio) with a CSA Cavalry. It has to Forage at the of every Action Phase (in Summer and Fall, it is easy to survive).
I have an army in Wheeling and his unit is unable to trace a LOC. Does it have to check for Surrender too ?
Imho, after 5 defeats out of 5 games, the advantage goes to the CSA. Maybe I miss something. But in the East, a 17-SP stack with Lee can't be beaten. Same thing for Grant, but if Washington or even one or two northern states cities are occupied by Cavalry the VP pressure is unbearable. I usually lost my games on turns 7 to 9 because of VP pressure. In Transmissipi Van Dorn wrecks attempts through Fayetteville. Genereally, a 6-SP dug in is hard to beat, even with a 13-SP force, especially with weak generals.
DEspite this, the game remains very interesting and challenging !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helmbold
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi Romain,

The May rules (available on the GMT website) indicate that a force that has a source of provisions need not roll for surrender (but still gets a foraging marker).

Quote:
DEFINITION OF SOURCE OF PROVISIONS: Any space (other than an Island or Coastal Fort) that is neither enemy-controlled or adjacent to an enemy SP is a Source of Provisions. Any Isolated unit or group of Isolated units that is either located within, or can trace a LOC of any length (between friendly Depots) to, such a hex does not have to roll for Surrender. Except Fort Morgan and Fort St. Philip/Jackson, Isolated Confederate Coastal Forts (and the units within them) may not use a Source of Provisions unless their associated Ocean Port is Confederate-controlled. Isolated Naval Units need to be located at, or able to trace a Supply Path to, a friendly-controlled port that qualifies as a Source of Provisions.

In effect, the Cav must be tightly surrounded before needing to roll for surrender. Note that even 1sp ZOIs can prevent Cav from avoiding battle or retreating. Check also the union militia rules, they also help against cav raids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect to Supply Attrition, also remember there is a +2 drm for being Demoralized. A lot of folks forget that drm. It creates serious risk when attacking Union Intrinsic Garrisons as a bad combat roll could lead to the Cavalry being subsequently lost on a Supply Attrition roll even during a Summer turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducoulombier Romain
France
Dunkirk
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, he had some luck and won his attacks (and won the game because of the VP pressure). Thnaks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.