GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sports Action Canadian Pro Football» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Got in one more play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
A friend and I got finally got in a play of this great CFL game. We had tried out the advanced last year but thought for this play lets just do the Basic, and see how it turned out. We used the latest and greatest cards from the 2016 season (thanks very much to Sandan) and decided to play the Hamilton Ticats vs the Ottawa Red Blacks, two very close teams from 2016 and it did turn out to be very close game.
It must have been snowing or something, because each team had at least 4 turn overs both interceptions and fumbles, we found it hard to get a rhythm going in the game, and it was back and forth with Hamilton out to a early lead, but as the last play of the half the Red Blacks tied it up at 10's. The Second quarter was about the same, and at game end it was tied at 20, we went to O.T. and as fitting for the game there was a Red Black interception in O.T. and they won by 3 points.

I really love this game it is simple enough but it does allows players to make decisions to keep you feeling you are in control, then you roll the dice and it really does not matter :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great game, Larry! I am also using the 2016 cards and have been playing a few games here and there. Have you done any house rules regarding offensive penalties? It seems like it skews towards more offensive than defensive, since you roll on the def card when a P symbol comes up on the defensive side. On offense, it's just an automatic penalty.
I experimented with an extra d20 roll, 1-10 no penalty, 11-20 penalty. That will cut down the offensive penalties in half. Might be too severe but it seemed like I was getting way too many. Any thoughts?
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony,

That sounds like a good idea, with our game it was turn over's but I think it was just luck that it turned out the way it did. No matter how you slice it, the game, like the real thing has many twists and turns.

If I knew how to do it, it really needs a Vassal module, probably is not that hard but I have no idea where to start, my only thing to look forward to is the season is starting soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to use Vassal either Larry. I have seen others post about it with other games.

I like the mod I did with the offensive penalties. It seems to be more realistic.

Keep us posted on your season progress!

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.