Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is the situation: My group was playing the second mission in City of Ancients. We found the summoning chamber and there was a burrower in there. The tile is big enough to hold it, so no problem.

On it's activation, the burrower burrowed (weird, right?) and then needed to come up under one of the characters. The problem is none of the rooms were big enough to allow a 3x3 enemy to be in it. The bone chamber has the black square, so we allowed it to come up there, assuming it was big enough to move the pile of bones and it had the requisite character in it.

When it burrowed again, we moved all of our characters in a passage, obviously too small for the burrower. We brought him up in a room next to the passage and continued the fight.

Is that right? Would he stay burrowed until we moved into a room? Can he come up through those bones in that chamber? We took the most logical route, because I couldn't find any clarification online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
dophin26 wrote:
So here is the situation: My group was playing the second mission in City of Ancients. We found the summoning chamber and there was a burrower in there. The tile is big enough to hold it, so no problem.

On it's activation, the burrower burrowed (weird, right?) and then needed to come up under one of the characters. The problem is none of the rooms were big enough to allow a 3x3 enemy to be in it. The bone chamber has the black square, so we allowed it to come up there, assuming it was big enough to move the pile of bones and it had the requisite character in it.

When it burrowed again, we moved all of our characters in a passage, obviously too small for the burrower. We brought him up in a room next to the passage and continued the fight.

Is that right? Would he stay burrowed until we moved into a room? Can he come up through those bones in that chamber? We took the most logical route, because I couldn't find any clarification online.

Without actually checking the rules... I'm wondering why you think the burrower can't surface in a passage. If it can dig through the ground, the walls (made out of the same stuff) wouldn't even make it bat an eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a 3x3 set of squares. The passage was only 2 squares wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XXL monsters use the rules for XL monsters in the core rulebook, they may overlap the edge of the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest answer you will find is on page 28 of the rulebook which says:

Quote:
Extra Large Size Enemies actually take up four spaces on the board in a 2x2 square. When one of these Enemies is being placed on the board, it uses a single one of its four spaces as the anchor space for placement and should be positioned so that the rest of the base is placed into spaces that are viable and have no other models in them.

The example pictures are also informative:

Quote:
Extra Large Enemy Overflow Example - In this example, the Extra Large Enemy randomly selects Hero B to target. The only way to reach him is to Overflow the board and smash through the wall leaving half of its base off the board. It moves as far as it can to reach him and ends in a space that had Enemy 1, displacing that existing Enemy out of the way.

Quote:
Extra Large Enemy Overflow Example - In this example, the Extra Large Enemy randomly selects Hero B to target. The only way to reach him is to Overflow the board and smash through the wall leaving half of its base off the board. It moves as far as it can to reach him and ends in a space that had Enemy 1, displacing that existing Enemy out of the way.

It's another example of drift in the product design; when Flying Frog designed the base set they probably never expected to create a miniature with a base larger than 2x2. Fortunately, these examples provide an answer. Based on the examples provided, the Burrower would smash thorough the walls and attack the player in the 2x2 passage.

[Edit - It looks like Philip got a response off while I was writing this. ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
The closest answer you will find is on page 28 of the rulebook which says:

Quote:
Extra Large Size Enemies actually take up four spaces on the board in a 2x2 square. When one of these Enemies is being placed on the board, it uses a single one of its four spaces as the anchor space for placement and should be positioned so that the rest of the base is placed into spaces that are viable and have no other models in them.

The example pictures are also informative:

Quote:

Quote:

It's another example of drift in the product design; when Flying Frog designed the base set they probably never expected to create a miniature with a base larger than 2x2. Fortunately, these examples provide an answer. Based on the examples provided, the Burrower would smash thorough the walls and attack the player in the 2x2 passage.

Mine was shorter ⛄️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:

Mine was shorter ⛄️

I wouldn't brag about that! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool you guys. Thanks for the clear explanation. Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And once the posse is swallowed by the Burrower, start laying out the Belly of the Beast tiles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.