Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Bump Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I considered this game, I was sold by art, the polish that Stonemaier always brings to (ahem) the table, and the idea of a competitive worker-placement legacy game. My impression of most Stonemaier games that that they're very well executed, but rarely bring anything new. Stonemaier is like the Blizzard of boardgames: refining existing mechanics to a high sheen rather than innovating.

What I didn't expect was to be blown away by the simple elegance of the worker placement mechanic in this game. It's astounding to me that I can't think of another game that does this. (Ora et Labora is vaguely similar, but not really.) In most worker placement games, you're trying to block opponents by taking the space they might want. In this game, it's the opposite: you're trying to anticipate spaces your opponents might want and go there first so that you can get bumped. It's still highly competitive, but rather than actively trying to hurt your opponents, you're simply trying not to help them. Turns are so fast and satisfying. We're 3 games in, but it's already becoming one of my favorite games to play with my kids.

The legacy element is cool, but is kind of a once-and-done gimmick. The bump mechanic, however, is a really cool innovation (AFAIK) that has me thinking about Charterstone whenever I'm not playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you didn't play Euphoria then... ^^ It has the same workers bumping mechanic. It is cool and I confess that the first time I saw it (Euphoria) I didn't like the notion. I was thinking "well if there is no blocking, if I can do whatever I want to do all the time, how will this be competitive from game to game? How can I not just find a maximized flow of actions and do it?"

But then after a few rounds actually playing I go "oooohhhh I get it now... cool!" ^^

I just disagree with your opinon for legacy. I love the legacy aspect of it. In fact I don't ever see myself playing Charterstone again after the campaign is over, but let's see what the future holds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria was one of the first worker placement games I played, so I found it innovative not only for worker bumping, but also for dice-as-workers. I do realise now that it was by no means the first WP game to use dice as workers, but it's still a fascinating thing.

I hate WP games where spots are blocked in such a way that I can't do *anything* I want to do, or it can screw up my entire strategy (my first game of Ryan Laukat's The Ancient World did this and soured the entire game for me), so things like bumping, or Viticulture's Grande Worker, or just simply having enough spots that you can always do something good, even if it's not the *best* spot, always makes WP games better for me.

I also love Raiders of the North Sea's twist on the WP mechanism - place a worker, take a worker for two actions each turn, and you only ever hold on to one worker.

Looking forward to starting Charterstone soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.