Hide
2 Posts

Risk: Marvel Cinematic Universe» Forums » Variants

Subject: 3 player variant ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B.A. Tosczak
msg tools
Having played the three player Battle for Manhatten scenario, we found that the victory conditions seemed a bit asymmetrical.
- Captain American has to control, not just invade but continue to occupy, a total of 8 locations.
- Winter Soldier has to eliminate Captain America and control 1 location
- Iron Man has to invade (but not control) 5 locations (he starts with a resource according to the set up, and there is no random chance to not pick up the resource) and to invade and control 1 location.

Some ideas we are going to try around our table
Idea #1 - Use Thor instead of Iron Man. Change his scenario to "Loki has mind controlled minions across Midgard. Find and defeat them and return to Asgard with Loki." Mechanically, Thor would have to defeat all the Loki Locations (invade 8, higher difficulty) plus Asgard (invade and control 1, higher difficulty). To balance this out, once Loki is uncovered, his minions no longer grant the d8 upgrade to defense.

Idea #2 - Keep Iron Man and increase the cost for the Avenger's Tower pieces to 3 resources per piece, for a total of 9 required invasions.

Idea #3 - Keep Iron Man and add a degree of chance to acquiring the resources. Once the location has been successfully invaded, the Iron Man player must roll a 5 or 6 to acquire the resource. The player may attempt to acquire each resource this way only once per turn. So this means the player only needs to invade the same number, but might need to control the location for multiple turns.

What are some modifications you are trying around your table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Shaftoe
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player game today and reached a similar conclusion. I like all your ideas for variants.
However , I've just taken another look at the rules and it specifically mentions that Iron Man must conquer an area to collect a resource. I think i will try this first. That is, Iron Man cannot collect the resource that is in one of the sectors he controls at game start but must reconquer it before collecting it. I think this might make quite a difference... I will see.
I enjoyed the game a lot. It is good fun and played fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.