5 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore» Forums » General

Subject: Eldritch Horror without Forsaken Lore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angel Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm thinking on buy Eldritch Horror and I have read on all webs that Forsaken Lore is an imprescindible expansion for core Eldritch Horror. But the problem es that i can't buy this expansion beacuse in spanish is out of stock. Then I have a question.
Is worth to buy first the core and play the core until reprint of forsaken Lore or is better wait until expansion and buy the bought together?

Now i have Arkham horror core of one friend, but i didn't play it yet. What is better in your opinion, play arkham core until expansion Forsaken Lore reprint (I think a few months) or buy Eldrith and buy Forsaken when reprint?

Thanks for your opinions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Norm
msg tools
Other expansions are really good too. If you can get one with the Focus mechanic. Or you can improvise Focus using some custom chips until you can buy one.

Forsaken lore mostly adds to replayability of the base game by adding more stuff for every Great Old One.

The base game is pretty good by itself for more than a few playthroughs. Lack of Focus is the only annoyance I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctorase wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking on buy Eldritch Horror and I have read on all webs that Forsaken Lore is an imprescindible expansion for core Eldritch Horror. But the problem es that i can't buy this expansion beacuse in spanish is out of stock. Then I have a question.
Is worth to buy first the core and play the core until reprint of forsaken Lore or is better wait until expansion and buy the bought together?
Lack of Forsaken Lore hurts repeatability, not playability. Game play is relatively similar with or without expansions. The only significant, if still minor, game play change is the focus tokens, which can be found in three different expansions (though not Forsaken Lore). Forsaken Lore is still a better first addition to the game.

doctorase wrote:
Now i have Arkham horror core of one friend, but i didn't play it yet. What is better in your opinion, play arkham core until expansion Forsaken Lore reprint (I think a few months) or buy Eldrith and buy Forsaken when reprint?
Depends, how many players? How much will you be playing before then?

I think Arkham Horror is the better, but significantly different game; however Eldritch Horror has some advantages for fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
I want to play from 1 to 4-5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctorase wrote:
I want to play from 1 to 4-5 players
5 players is among the worse player counts for both base game Arkham* and Eldritch.

I would probably recommend multiple investigators for solo play in either game, so the question would be how many you want to/are willing to play with?

Play time varies much more with the number of players in Eldritch. This is a benefit if you are generally playing with 2 or fewer, but a detriment if you are usually playing with 5 or more.

Eldritch is somewhat easier to teach to new players and for them to learn on their own.

You can probably get at least 12 plays of Arkham before I would recommend adding an expansion (not just to make sure you are familiar with the rules, but to play each of the 8 Ancient Ones once and at least some of them twice, particularly the nastier ones, like Hastur). After that you should have a decent enough handle on the game that many of the Ancient Ones may seem quite easy to win (without getting to the Final Battle, that many Arkham players end up considering a draw) with just the base game.

With Eldritch after 2 plays with each Ancient One (8 total plays) there is the possibility to feel quite "samey" given the lack of mysteries and similarity in mysteries in general (4 for each Ancient One, 3 of which to be drawn for use in each game).

With Arkham, most players usually end up preferring either 1 big box and 1 small box expansion or all the expansions added in. This is necessary to keep the difficulty and the tension up while either providing a tight thematic experience or a more general sense of doom encroaching at all angles (while perhaps a more strategic experience). Adding expansions to Arkham makes the game much more difficult if you stray from the optimal number of investigators (4 plus 1 per expansion board beyond the first). So with all the expansions, you would want 6 investigators, regardless of how many players you have (if you have players experienced enough to play with all the expansions, playing multiple investigators should not be difficult at all). For Arkham never add an expansion until you are fairly familiar playing with the base game and all other expansions added up to that point.

With Eldritch, aside from Forsaken Lore to give each of the base game Ancient Ones a couple more Mysteries (in my opinion they're still short by at least 2 for what the base game should have released with) and otherwise flesh out the game a bit and at least one expansion with the Focus mechanism: Mountains of Madness, Strange Remnants, and The Dreamlands all have this; expansions are mainly added to increase variety (and thus replayability). You can add expansions to Eldritch whenever/however you like, there are very few changes to core gameplay (and you are not likely to use most of the cards from any given expansion if you have multiple expansions anyways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.