tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess he's good enough to shine Mac Gerdts' shoes. Barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I guess he's good enough to shine Mac Gerdts' shoes. Barely.

Or get Knizia a beer from the fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Or get Knizia a beer from the fridge.

He has to get him whatever brand of beer there is the least of in the fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereas when I see his name it is a sign for me to proceed with caution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a wargame in the bunch, pass. I mean c'mon, if ya can't blow things up ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
i like McJesus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
I do. Deal with it!

I don't think I have played any of his games. What do you like most about his designs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

So you honestly have never heard of someone who has won two Spiel awards and has three games in the Top 150 with one at #11?

I would put him about 4th for me right now. I need to get some more games in from other designers, but I can see him being around #5. He's near auto preorder for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

So you honestly have never heard of someone who has won two Spiel awards and has three games in the Top 150 with one at #11?

I would put him about 4th for me right now. I need to get some more games in from other designers, but I can see him being around #5. He's near auto preorder for me.

I've never heard of him either. That's one of the great things about this hobby, it's vastness. I own nearly 500 games, been playing for 40 years, and have never heard of this designer. Of course, I mostly play wargames and Ameritrash, with a smattering of modern games like 7 Wonders and Love Letter. I looked Pfister up here...I've heard of a couple of his games, but have never played any. I might give one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not enjoy Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, but I think Port Royal is a top notch filler. Everyone I've introduced to Port Royal has enjoyed it. Never play it just once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Pustulant Donkey
badge
Canadian Ghost
mbmbmbmbmb
So does your mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I wanted to like some of his smaller games, but I’ve purchased, played a few times and sold both Port Royal and Oh My Goods. Too bad for me.

I would like to play GWT at some point, though it’s a bit out of my preferred play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

Yes. I honestly have never heard of him.

Edit: Great Western Trail. Huh. Maybe I will try that someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
I do. Deal with it!

Sorry, happily married kiss
But apart form this, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mombasa is so good and criminally underrated. I love Great Western Trail, but Mombasa is the shiznit!!! More 1/1/2-2hr Euros from Mr. Pfister is at the top of my Christmas list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

GWT has won awards. He just finished fourth in reddit's polling of favorite designers. Out of the newer Euro designers, he's the one who puts out the more accessible ones, Isle of Skye and Broom Service, while being able to do heavier games, Mombasa and GWT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

GWT has won awards. He just finished fourth in reddit's polling of favorite designers. Out of the newer Euro designers, he's the one who puts out the more accessible ones, Isle of Skye and Broom Service, while being able to do heavier games, Mombasa and GWT.

While I've heard of all four of those games (and even done some research into one, and held another in my hand), the name is not at all familiar to me.

I find that, in general, the names of designers don't stick, unless I've done something like deliberately go looking for more (such as with Klaus Teuber, and his name probably stuck because I couldn't find anything of interest that wasn't just more Catan). Or there's something bad associated with the name in my mind.

There are of course a few exceptions for what I find to be spectacularly good games (hello Tom Lehmann), but mostly not.

-edit- forgot: I don't pay attention to awards, especially not Spiel. I find that the people who judge these things have very different ideas of a good game, and the aim of an award, to me. Nor do I ever see the list of rankings; apart from not caring, I have deleted that page element from BGG in order to have a better display that more suits my preferences. But even if these two things were not so, I don't see anything there that might cause the designer's name to stick in my mind (a game's name, sure, but not the designer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
matthean wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Who?

Thanks for the information. I’ve heard of, but not had the opportunity to play, all of those games.

(He also has a sense of humor, apparently.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of him.

Introduce Broom Service to people all the time!

Needs better branding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Peace, love and understanding
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP! It is the season of sharing after all and why not share your feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Port Royal was one of my gateway games. I love the push your luck in it and am looking forward to trying the new expansion.

I enjoyed watching this Essen interview from Jason at Dice Tower:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
Port Royal was one of my gateway games. I love the push your luck in it and am looking forward to trying the new expansion.

The first expansion for Port Royal is excellent. I never play without it. Haven't played with the latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnpnewman wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:

The first expansion for Port Royal is excellent. I never play without it. Haven't played with the latest.

The multilingual edition isn't out yet. I think much of the second expansion primarily pertains to the cooperative game and the solo game modes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.