Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!

I am getting ready to print up some item cards and one thing that we discussed briefly during the community item project but never really made the cut was consumable white items.

I'm talking about items that you would find and would only have one use and then be returned to the draw deck. I think that scrolls, throwing stars and knives, maybe even minor explosives (hurty bangs) could be lots of fun,....

I'm asking for ideas as I move forward. It's been too many years since I actually did role playing; s I'd like to see ideas for scrolls mostly as I don't even remember what they were like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Consumable White Item ideas (potions, scrolls, throwing weapons, etc)
Caltrops - 1dmg -1 mv
Acid bottle
Bolo - prone on successful hit
Bottle of hot peppper - blow into face of adjacent -1Tn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things:

1) I will likely be adding threat and AP costs to offensive capabilities (especially for large AOE types of things like sticks of dynamite, etc.)

2) I believe that scrolls will be "focus" keyword required items; that would by default pretty much limit their use to mage characters,.... but there are some pretty cool weapons that are melee and focus items,... so that could open things up a bit.

3) I'm also considering making some very high level consumable items,.... perhaps an "Enchant Weapon" scroll that would provide an permanent effect to an item,..... (e.g. +1 Fire DMG, etc,.... likely based on a FD roll). If you had a card that would do that,.... what color do you think it should be? blue at the least, I think,..... orange maybe? thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some original thoughts by:

David Jackson
United States
Versailles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From back when he put together the amazing Community Item Project #1

Quote:
I was giving some thought to consumable (white deck) items.

Potions are an obvious addition.

Other - say attack items, I have been thinking about.

Having them totally "free" like the potions seems wrong. Attaching an AP cost to them also seems wrong.

My proposal - It would be considered a NCA, so you would spend 1MP to use it. Like an NCA, you would use only your base dice pool (1d10 1FD in most cases). Some items may have a dice bonus on them. Any cards giving a bonus to NCA rolls would also grant a bonus to using these items.

So, you would have to sacrifice a movement point for something that may be somewhat difficult to pull off at times. You get a little more life out of the +NCA cards as well, when you aren't trying to disarm traps or the like.

Also, to not jack up the ability to get money, about 2/3 of the items added would need to sell for 1-2gp to keep the current value balance in the white item deck.

In most cases, I would think you would want at least 2 copies of every item in the deck.

A few examples:

Item Name: Throwing Knife
Slot: N/A
Type: Consumable (white deck)
Bonuses: N/A
NCA Line: N/A
Special: Perform a NCA check vs. target's defense. 1 damage to target if successful
Fate Recipe: N/A
Range: 3

Simple 1 damage ranged attack.

Item Name: Bandage
NCA Line: +1d10
Special: Perform a NCA check vs. target Hero's current Vitality. Restore 2 Vitality if successful.
Range: 1

A 2 point heal for yourself or an adjacent friend; it gets easier to succeed as Vitality dips lower.

Item Name: Fire Flask
NCA Line: +1FD
Special: Perform a NCA check vs. target defense. 1 fire damage to target if successful.
Fate Recipe: (Arcane) Fire DoT on target, 1 damage for 2 refresh phases.
Range: 1

These ideas did not make the cut for that sizable pack.

Let me know what work (if any) you did on these, David. I'd hate to duplicate effort, and I'd really like to put these together. At the end; I'd like to post a PS project that has some of these ideas added to the white items from the Lands of Myth project for easy printing.

I'm open to all other suggestions,....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional Comments and ideas from:

Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Quote:
I really like the idea of more consumables. Some thoughts:

Using NON-combat-action to acutally do a combat action (throwing a knife) feels "off" to me.

Perhaps you could remove the NCA from the combat consumables and think about something like this:

To use a combat consumable you have to play any attack reaction / counterattack but instead of executing the card, you execute the effect of the item (attach a fixed number of D10s and FDs to the consumable. Hero stats or equip doesn't count). You still have to pay the AP of the reaction and it is not spamable - another problem with the NCA thing. Play Sprint + Hustle and bombard the battlefield with fire flasks for 1 AP.
Also note, that the serendipty cost for getting additional D10s for NCAs is just 1. I think there is just too much potential for abuse here.

I really like the idea to expand NCAs to other areas of the game and the idea to base the TN on e.g. the vitality of the Hero (bandages) is a great idea.

I'll see if I can come up with a few more consumable ideas...

Quote:
Some suggestions:

Item Name: Pouch of Pixie Dust
Type: Combat Consumable (white deck)
Attack Line: 1D10 / 1FD
Special: Hit target suffers -1D10 to it’s attacks until the end of it’s activation.
Fate Recipe: [A]: Pixie Dust affects one additional adjacent target.
Range: 3

Item Name: Fortune Cookie
Special: Perform a NCA check vs. current Serendipity count. Success: Gain 1 Serendipity.
Range: N/A

Item Name: Acid Bomb
Type: Combat Consumable (green deck)
Attack Line: 3D10
Special: Deal 1 damage to all hit figures in a 2x2. Armored enemies have their defense TN reduced by 2 (doesn’t stack). If you miss, suffer 2 damage.
Range: 4

Item Name: Haste Potion
Type: Consumable (green deck)
Special: You can play 2 actions this Hero Cylce. Double the AP cost of all actions you play during this Hero Cycle.
Range: N/A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've worked on more consumable for MYTH: Dungeons! It's also a nice example how to integrate the action to use the consumable with the item card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've toyed around with the scroll idea a bit.

The basic idea is, that scrolls provide 1-time uses of hero abilities.

"Amplify" tells you, what effect you get, if you discard / use the scroll together with the matching hero card.

E.g.: If the Apprentice played "Arcane Lance" and used the scroll, his Arcane Lance would have Range: 5 and Damage: 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting idea. I was worried a about limiting scrolls to the mage,.... this gives "scroll like" opportunities to other characters.

Though; I'm hoping to grant some effects that are not just the same as hero cards. I'm putting together a list of potential items,..... anyone else have ideas as I get going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IMHO it is good to limit the variety within an item class. Otherwise you end-up with items that are all over the place and "scroll", "potion" whatever is just a meaningless flavor text.

Of course, do as you like! I will create a few more scrolls and you can include them in this project if you like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.