Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
designer
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I am looking for a good example of a contract (and NDA) that I could send to an artist for my game.

It's my first rodeo self-publishing, but not my first time looking at a contract or running a business. Would love any links you could share! I have a few, but they are older (2010 or so).

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
The first place you should go is James Mathe's blog, where you will find tons of information about designing and publishing, including why NDAs are unnecessary (and a non-starter) in board game business dealings.

If you're thinking about kickstarting your game, then Jamey Stegmaier's blog is a must-read.

I'd also recommend the Board Game Business podcast (formerly The Forbidden Limb) and games lawyer Zachary Strebeck's podcast Legal Moves.

Best of luck with your design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
designer
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

I think a good contract is all I really need, but NDA’s have the added benefit of a man’s word being his bond. Breaking the NDA is less likely.

Also subbed to the podcasts. I look forward to listening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowenhigh wrote:
I think a good contract is all I really need, but NDA’s have the added benefit of a man’s word being his bond. Breaking the NDA is less likely.

I've done some things for at least one professional, including being in possession of some actually sensitive information. And the subject of an NDA has never come up (except from one publisher who failed to understand the situation and rapidly dropped it).

But I would sign an NDA under the right circumstances. First among which is that you are paying me. And not a nominal sum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
NDA annoyance gotta cost big time. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
NDA annoyance gotta cost big time. Yes.

I think, in addition to annoyance, it screams of distrust. And that's not the kind of work relationship I'd like. Unless you work on a game based on Star Wars Episode 9, or another similar thing, I'd avoid those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.