Subject: Pandamonium and the Horniest Unicorn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
In a game last night,someone asked about the interaction between these two. Say a player has both of these cards in their stable. At the beginning of their turn, the player moves a Unicorn from someone else's Stable into their own. Now this card is a Panda. The Horniest Unicorn states in the last sentence that at the end of the turn, "return the Unicorn" to the original Stable.

Would the Pandamonium debuff prevent the "borrowed" Unicorn from returning since it's now a Panda?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Grassler
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
We had exactly the same situation.
I am not sure but in doubt would say yes the unicorns, err pandas would stay within your stable as lobg as the horny panda is horny enough.
If the Horniest Panda becomes a Unicorn again all borrowed Unicorns move back to their original stable. The question is if let‘s say I discard Pandamonium for some reason do I still win on an instant as the return Unicorns rule triggers at the end of turn phase?

That combo would be really powerful I‘ll say.

Until now we had several uses for the Pandamonium where it was more of an upgrad than a downgrade. E.g if you have a lot of downgrades in your stable e.g. Tiny Stable or Blinding Light or Barbed Wire, this card let‘s you circumvent the downgrades at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you stick with the meaning of Pandamonium: All your unicorns are now pandas. Even The Horniest Panda would have a hard time seducing a unicorn - so the card effect wouldn't work in the first place, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Grassler
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
Oliver, I am not sure about that. The Pandamonium card states that Pandas are not affected by cards that affect Unicorns.

The official FAQ on Unstable Unicorns Homepage states that even as Pandas their effects remain the same.

So I understand it that the Horniest Panda can still seduce Unicorns and lire them into the Stable that magically changes them into Pandas. As Pandas they are not affected by cards that affect Unicorns.
So they stick around. This is what the cards say. There is no intention here and if it was they missed to clarify the rules on the card itself.

As long as this isn‘t FAQed that is probably the way to play it. Period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The better questions would be:

1) Do all "borrowed" Unicorns return (once they become unicorns again) or do they stay permanently (since the turn in which they would have been returned has passed)?

2) If they are returned, do they all wait until the end of the turn, or do Unicorns brought in during previous rounds get returned immediately (before the win condition occurs)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diseased wrote:
Oliver, I am not sure about that.

That's the thing. It's all probably-schmobably until the FAQ is updated, and even then there are lots of big follow-up questions (see the post above). The card obviously didn't see much play-testing, hence my suggestion which keeps in line with it being a Downgrade (not an Upgrade in disguise) and avoiding tons of complications (which the expression "period" meant to illustrate). Yes, I know what the FAQ says. But that doesn't do much good, does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:
That's the thing. It's all probably-schmobably until the FAQ is updated, and even then there are lots of big follow-up questions (see the post above). The card obviously didn't see much play-testing, hence my suggestion which keeps in line with it being a Downgrade (not an Upgrade in disguise) and avoiding tons of complications (which the expression "period" meant to illustrate). Yes, I know what the FAQ says. But that doesn't do much good, does it?

Actually, diseased is right. From the FAQ:
Quote:
Do my Unicorns' effects work if Pandamonium is in my Stable?
When Pandamonium is in play, all of that player’s Unicorns are Pandas, but their effects remain the same

Only the unicorns in your stable are pandas, not the ones in front of other players, so the action of getting a unicorn is still valid. There are plenty of other updates and downgrades which are double edged swords. Pandemonium is mainly a downgrade because it prevents you from winning while you have it, not because it's supposed to completely screw you over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.