Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the shadow war rules and I was wondering if the rules are similar to the Necromunda underhive ones...when I bought the shadow war rulebook I bought it because I wanted sonething similar to Necromunda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Shadow Was is very similar to old Necromunda, while new Necromunda is quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow War's game system rules are practically a cut-and-paste of original Necromunda's rules. Its campaign system is similar in design, but much less detailed. SWA Kill Teams do not adopt the personalization of Necro gangs. The campaign works, but the game centers on the battles. The old battle system is solid, and fun.

New Necro shares common DNA with Shadow War. It's Hit-Wound-Save-Damage sequence is updated, but familiar. Shooting is very similar. Hand-to-hand is significantly different. But, vaguely familiar. It is the turn sequence that is radically different. Instead of SWA's IGO/UGO alternating turns, New Necro uses alternating actions. Makes for a very different game. Both are fun. SWA's is venerable, detailed, and strategic. New Necro is faster paced, with more interaction and options. I like them both. I'll let you ken which I like more.

I still have not played the Necromunda Underhive campaign, yet (there, I stopped calling it New Necro). It looks to be faster than, er, Old Necro's, but still has depth. I would think there is enough there for gangs to develop a personality.

Armed with the SWA rulebook, you can easily throw down with a couple of squads from up to 14 different factions. Super easy to get started, and close enough to 40K (of all versions) to feel familiar.

Necromunda Underhive is marketed much differently. You can't even buy the basic rulebook separately (it is appearing on ebay now). The box set has a lot of quality components, but you might not have any interest in playing the 2D version of the game on cardboard boards. To go up Underhive and play on the 3D tabletop, those rules are in the seperate Gang War supplement. As are the campaign rules. So, a complete experience requires two rule books (one of which only retails in the box set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I Get that shadow war has more gameplay depth and New Necro has a better campaing system, is that it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half right. I knew the word "strategic" might convey more than I meant. My bad. SWA has alternating turns. There's a lot you can do during your turn. You can access lanes of fire or approach. Set up to block the enemy. Using Overwatch, or, put gangers in places to threaten the opponent next turn. Move, charge run, etc. Get it all done, and then sit back and watch while the opponent does the same. Interrupted by your Overwatch. So, strategic in the sense it's planned and carried out each turn. Like most games. I've been playing these rules (an offshoot of 40K V2) for 25 years, or so. I play them well. I'm good at plans and execution. That said, SWA campaign system is reductive. By design. It's a game about fighting battles, not campaigns. So, it's more like league play than campaign play.

Necromunda Underhive has alternating actions (I know, that's not new, and companies like Mantic have been doing it for YEARS, blah, blah, blah). I'm not unfamiliar with alternating actions. I have played Chess. I don't find alternating action less strategic in the sense that I used it above. But, certainly more chaotic, and reactive. I really like the dynamics, but my early track record shows I have not yet solved putting my previous tried and true basic tactics into coherent game play (let's call that "Strategy"). Perhaps because all the stately stuff I described under the old system in SWA gets done in an uninterrupted 1/2 turn (but for Overwatch). With Underhive it gets done (hopefully) piece by piece with interruptions. We'll see about the campaign, but I have high hopes.

Also, I'm not a "depth" guy. To me, a game with three different ways to win isn't deep, it's overwrought. General Patton said in the opening monologue of the eponymous movie, "Grab them by the nose and kick them in the ass!" That's right at enough depth for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.