5 Posts

Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Which has more priority rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergo Csosz
msg tools
mbmbmb
As the title suggests, we recently encountered where The rebellion's strategy card would make it so the rebels choose my strategy card next round, but the event card said that my strategy card will be chosen randomly. Which has more priority over the other, and why?

We resolved this in the way, that the strategy card activates, since if it doesn't that basically means he wasted that strategy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
From your post, it seems the event turned over was:

"Create a Diversion"

The player who loses this event must choose his strategy card randomly next round.

And the Strategy Card the Rebel Player played was:

"Infiltration"

You choose your opponent's strategy card next round.

I disagree, and would have said the Strategy Card would have had precedent.

In the FAQ on Page 15:

Quote:
Q: Can a player choose not to resolve his strategy card's effect?

A: No. Each player must resolve his strategy card's effect if able.

In the resolving the event rules in "Determine Victory" it says:

Quote:
If the event has an EFFECT, that effect might be resolved.

The first rule says MUST, the second rule says MIGHT. I'd go with the MUST, and rule the Rebel should have chosen your strategy card next round. Even thought the event card also uses MUST on this particular card, I feel the rules saying Strategy Cards are a MUST and Event Cards are a MIGHT takes precedence.

It also makes sense if your opponent won the round, they'd have the better of the options, pick your card rather than you have to choose one randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Edwards
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case the Strategy card has priority over the Event card.

The Event card assumes that you will be able to choose a random Strategy next round. But your opponent has already removed that option with their Strategy card, so the Event is ignored.

Either way you will end up with a new Strategy card that you did not choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Csosz
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much guys!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
droberts441 wrote:
From your post, it seems the event turned over was:

"Create a Diversion"

The player who loses this event must choose his strategy card randomly next round.

And the Strategy Card the Rebel Player played was:

"Infiltration"

You choose your opponent's strategy card next round.

I disagree, and would have said the Strategy Card would have had precedent.

I don't think the rules need to be twisted to interpret the interplay between the two cards -- just apply both effects as follows:

First, the losing player would randomly choose a strategy card, as directed by the Create a Diversion event.

Then, if the opposing player did not like the result, the opponent could choose a different strategy card as allowed by the Infiltration strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.