BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Norway

Subject: Visiting Norway in March! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ainsley Von Ottersley the 3rd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm Ainsley, a boardgamer in my 30s coming from Australia to Norway for a couple of weeks in March next year! I already have a tour booked from the 12-19th but am looking for things to do in the week before this.

What's the boardgaming scene like? What are some good geeky type places to visit? (Game stores/Book stores). What sort of places would you want someone to recommend to you? Not really a winter person (I'm from Australia after all) so hiking isn't a go. The tour is to go North and see the Northern lights.

Also I'm learning a little bit of Norwegian (I am terrible though) - will English be enough to get me where I need to go?

Thanks heaps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D.
Norway
Asker
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be fine with English. As far as gaming and geek stuff; it all depends on where you are. A lot of gaming is done in a club type atmosphere. There is a chain of shops, and your results will again vary depending on location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Norway is mindbogglingly big. Not universe-big, but the distance from Oslo to the northernmost city on the same landmass is the same as from Oslo to Rome. And believe it or not, there are cities even farther south!

But an Australian should be used to that sort of thing, right? If you know where you're going this map of clubs might help:
http://n4f.no/organisasjon/medlemsforeninger/kart/
(Not everything on that map is a board game club, but a big place like Bodø would have a reasonable chance of some gaming happening while you're there.)

You may run into some locals who don't speak any English at all and if you do, please help us tag them so we can keep track of these rare beasts.

If you're spending the first week in Oslo there are at least two clubs with the possibility of playing something random Tuesdays/Wednesdays, and Outland's newest store with tables to play just about anything most days. Lots of tournaments around the weekend, but the rest of the week is less organised and planned. It won't be all MtG kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Fotland
Taiwan
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Meow
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Norway! you can actually play every day in Oslo if you want.
Sundays (1pm) and Mondays (5pm) is at the shop Outland in Storgata.
Tuesdays (5pm) at Blindern
Wednesdays (5pm) at Bjølsen
Thursdays (5pm) at Subscene
Fridays (5pm) at Torshov public library
Saturdays (1pm) at Majorstuen public library
(subject to change)
17klubben.no knows when and where. Hope to see you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparklehooves wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Ainsley, a boardgamer in my 30s coming from Australia to Norway for a couple of weeks in March next year! I already have a tour booked from the 12-19th but am looking for things to do in the week before this.

What's the boardgaming scene like? What are some good geeky type places to visit? (Game stores/Book stores). What sort of places would you want someone to recommend to you? Not really a winter person (I'm from Australia after all) so hiking isn't a go. The tour is to go North and see the Northern lights.

Also I'm learning a little bit of Norwegian (I am terrible though) - will English be enough to get me where I need to go?

Thanks heaps

Hi Ainsley, you will have no problem getting around with English. Most of us are more or less fluent (have to be with so few in the world speaking our language). If you could give us some details, like what kind of towns you will be hitting up, the boardgamers from those areas could better help you with tips, boardgaming and otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.