Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mb
We played tonight, me and my 8yo daughter, who enjoyed crazily this game. We played before rory's cubes but this loose structure helped a lot to plant a story with episodes and scenes.

Soon enough (2nd scene) she wanted to merge with the adventure time dice we have, so I let her freely, but I felt it wasnt tight anymore.

Have you tried to add more dice? And how?
We decided next time to fix a 18 max 27 dice and use them, not more. But this doesnt sound satisfactory...

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpentium wrote:
Have you tried to add more dice? And how?
We decided next time to fix a 18 max 27 dice and use them, not more. But this doesnt sound satisfactory...

I'm all for mixing and matching dice sets, but if you play with more than nine dice total, you're missing the chance to reintroducing dice in later scenes (see "Coloured borders and reintroducing Story Cubes" in the rulebook)...

I put all the Story Cubes I have in a bag, then I draw nine dice, and stick with them through the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo,

We tested lots of options, but always came back to using 9 Story Cubes. As Paolo days, it increases the chance of recurring elements, which actually helps to create a more cohesive and satisfying adventure.

So use whatever method you choose to select the 9 Story Cubes, but once the adventure begins, stick to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks Rory.
I agree with the idea that constraint makes it better. In fact this is the reason Untold stories is much better than just playing with dice.

The only thing, is I feel a little bit tight with only 9 dice, I guess I will try with 12-15 from different groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the preference for more choice. The problem is that it increases the likelihood of going through a full episode without reintroducing any elements. So how about this as an experiment:

Start with 15 Story Cubes.
Every time you place a Story Cube onto a Scene Card, remove 2 Story Cubes permanently from the episode.
By the time you reach the end of the second scene, you’ll be back down to 9 Story Cubes. This gives you options at the beginning, while focusing the story later on.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Gruber
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roryoconnor wrote:
I appreciate the preference for more choice. The problem is that it increases the likelihood of going through a full episode without reintroducing any elements. So how about this as an experiment:

Start with 15 Story Cubes.
Every time you place a Story Cube onto a Scene Card, remove 2 Story Cubes permanently from the episode.
By the time you reach the end of the second scene, you’ll be back down to 9 Story Cubes. This gives you options at the beginning, while focusing the story later on.

What do you think?

That's an awesome idea. I already have almost 50 of the dice so I'll need a BIG bag, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.