Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got myself a copy of Charterstone, just in time for Christmas! I am very excited to own and try my third board game created by Jamey Stegmaier & Stonemaier games.

Small criticism regarding the rulebook following my first introduction to components in the game.
Disclaimer: I wanted to have a good understanding of how to play the game before introducing the game to my play group.

Quote:
The rulebook states: "Look inside the index tuckbox, remove the shrink wrap from each deck of cards, and put the decks back in the Index. Do not look through the cards and do not shuffle them... #2. Read through the Chronicle..."

So I followed those instructions as described. I opened the cards and did not look at them. Then I proceeded to read the instructions. In other words, I did not look at or read the first cards (#1 onward). Reading the instructions without seeing the first few cards of the deck made the learning experience more confusing than it should have been originally. Had I looked at the first few cards, I would have understood the Chronicle much better. Example: Rule 4, in the Rulebook, would have been much clearer had I seen the first few cards in the index. i.e. I would have had a better sense of what Objective cards do, where I will find them, etc.

To all those who open this game for the first time: I would recommend that you take a look at the first 13 cards of the Index when first introducing yourself to the game (Doing so will not spoil the game, other than you will get an introduction to the game before your game mates). Then, go on to read the Chronicle (instructions).

I am wondering why rulebook does not instruct you to do this after the quoted statement above? #2 should state: "Look at card #1 in the Index.

Once I saw the first few cards, the game made MUCH MORE sense to me as a learner of the game. I get that Jamey probably wants the game group to experience learning together but I think if you are going to learn the game a little before introducing it to friends, you should take a peek at cards 1 through 13 (or so).

I haven't played my first game yet BUT NOW I AM STOKED TO GIVE IT A GO! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I want players to share the experience of arriving at the village together. I do not recommend looking at the cards in advance, just the Chronicle (or watching the Watch It Played video, also noted on the first page of the Chronicle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Right, I want players to share the experience of arriving at the village together. I do not recommend looking at the cards in advance, just the Chronicle (or watching the Watch It Played video, also noted on the first page of the Chronicle).

Yes... but it really doesn't ruin the experience. If you want to understand the intro workings of the game ahead of your game group, it really helps to see a few of those cards in advance. Otherwise, I found the rulebook wasn't as easy to understand.
Interesting to note: The Watch It Played video walks you through the first 13 cards away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonetheless... a take-away from my experience: just know, that the game will become clear once you start looking at the Index cards starting at #1!
As with any game, seeing some of the components really helps with understanding the concepts in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty clear what to do to start.

Step 2 says to read through the rule book or watch the Watch it Played videos. Then it states it's not necessary to learn the rules but it is good for one person to understand the core concepts before the game.

Then in the next column of text it states when everyone has gathered to pull out index card #1 and go from there. Which is going to basically go over the basic rules.

The game leads you by the hand each game pretty well. Read the first page of the chronicle very carefully so you understand the order to do everything for your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.