Subject: Your Results with "The Book of Powers" Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

After playing "The Book of Powers" Expansion for my 2017 10x10 Challenge, I'm curious -- has anyone won a game when playing with this expansion?

It was my goal to dig in to Urbion in 2017 since I'd really only played the base game. This particular expansion is one ... let's just say that never winning in 10 plays is a huge drag. I tried with one and two books, never more.

What experiences with this expansion do you have?

All ideas and constructive comments most welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metony mous
msg tools
mb
I always play with both The Book of Powers and the Arch-Squares & Metas, I see it as the full game, must fun, and maybe easier than without, as soon as you get used to the puzzle. I think I win most of the time.

The books can help you a lot, I usually get three or four books, I love to get both books of prophesies (too look at four cards is great), or The Book of Delightful Balance, but all are useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the books make things harder while the metas make it slightly easier.

In terms of strategies; counting and sorting the discards gives a lot of information which is helpful when choosing which cards to discard from hand. This was for me the single most useful thing in achieving more regular victories with or without the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:

In terms of strategies; counting and sorting the discards gives a lot of information which is helpful when choosing which cards to discard from hand. This was for me the single most useful thing in achieving more regular victories with or without the expansions.

Could you give a helpful example, please?

ldp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Schmieder
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the base game about 10 times and never won. Yesterday I played my first game with both expansions and instantly won. So I got the feeling that the game does get easier with the expansions thrown in. Paying a book of powers card only costs two dream cards (or even less, if you're lucky enough to draw a chaos card), which seems quite cheap, considering how often these special ability cards came in handy during the game. I bought four book of powers cards (the two that let my move a positive/negative card and the two that let me remove a positive/negative card). Maybe I just got lucky with that combination. I'm eager to play some more to find out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I've had the complete opposite experience.

I'll try once again... someday.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.