Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your enthusiasm is inspiring, but I think that if you take the components of AWAW and build a new game from the ground up with it, if you adhere to the requirements you laid out - particularly the 'true to history' part - you'll end up creating something equally as "cross referenced", and I dare say not as good. AWAW has been tried in the furnace of hundreds or even thousands of plays over a decade and a half, and over 4 decades if you include its beginnings with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

There are dozens of games out there that meet most of your requirements already. Probably the most fun I know of is good old World War II: European Theater of Operations, 1939-45 by SPI. Make sure to download the clarified rules set from the files section. It resolves a lot of inconsistencies in the original rules, and incorporates all errata. It's not an expensive game to acquire, and I highly recommend it.

(EDIT: Realized those rules are at CSW, not here! Here's a link: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d267/2489 They're in the header.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck in your endeavor. I've owned AWAW for a few years now and have never been able to truly make headway on learning the rules. It is not a very good game to try to learn by yourself. I've had much better luck with World in Flames, for whatever reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
onlysane1 wrote:
So basically, I'm taking original rules, streamlining them to be less complicated and have fewer exceptions, all while still hopefully maintaining the game's faithfulness to history and, more importantly, game balance.
Bruce Harper, the designer, started a project like this a couple of years ago: in message number 144464 of the aworldatwar Group on Yahoo Groups, he mentions having a very rough version of it, although it sounds like the idea got tabled for lack of interest. In any event, you might try asking about it over there. Although I'm sure what they'll recommend as a better option is to try to team up with someone who can teach you the game. (I suggest that approach too.)

Another option--other than re-writing the rules yourself--would be to just skip the more detailed rules on your first play-through: like the special rules for Russian attritions, and the oil rules, and the more involved unit construction limits. And play the historical scenario which skips the diplomacy rules and the research rules altogether. You can add them in during your next playthroughs: after all, balance isn't an issue in your first couple of times playing anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Streamining is a professional word.
Before you can streamline any process, you have be well-versed with that process first such that nothing is broken during the re-factoring.

Therefore, understand the original rules first.
By that time re-think this post. Maybe it is no longer needed.

Just as said above, this game at its core is just 3R.
You can just read the movement, combat, construction, SR and YSS rules and give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Vannatta
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
At this point, I might shift from a "simplification" to simply reorganizing the rulebook and making additional reference sheets to make the information more accessible. As I'm actually reading the rulebook cover to cover I'm starting to understand it better, but I feel I can organize the information in such a way that new players can "jump in" and learn as they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
onlysane1 wrote:
At this point, I might shift from a "simplification" to simply reorganizing the rulebook and making additional reference sheets to make the information more accessible.
I find reference sheets very helpful as well, and I've made a dozen or more of them. You'll find them in the Files section here on BGG: they might save you some time.
Quote:
As I'm actually reading the rulebook cover to cover I'm starting to understand it better, but I feel I can organize the information in such a way that new players can "jump in" and learn as they play.
I'm glad you "getting it". Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.