Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Ally & Villan Packs - Waste of $ for Solo Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Pannullo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I need to start of by saying I am only going to play this game solo with the app. Am I correct in saying that the only value I am getting out of the Ally and Villan packs are a miniature and one deployment card? For an average of $20 for each that seems like a complete waste. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
What ally/solo packs are you buying?

At my FLGS or even online they are less than $10. Even the larger ones with 2-3 figs are $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the packs also have items (Obi-wan pack has a lightsaber and is the only way for Diala to get one by the app rules) that you may want but otherwise it's mostly for the miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmb
I would say it would be pretty low return for the amount of money you spend (unless it's your only solo game and you plan to play it a lot, then I guess it could be worth it). I have everything for the game but I bought it to play campaign and skirmish and the app made it a bonus solo-game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we have indeed to differentiate between packs.
- The app currently only supports packs that barely replace core box tokens with minis. On those, it's your choice whether tokens bore you or not.
- Other packs can add more by giving you access to units that were not in big boxes. But these aren't supported yet.
- Obi Wan is a better deal with his lightsaber if you want to play Diala. The lightsaber is supported, I believe (but not Obi Wan).
- Most villain packs add cards for the imperial agenda. Not sure if these will get used or not.

Having said all that, there's also a fanmade app for solo play which you have to keep a watch out for (Imperial Directive). Like the main app, it currently focuses on the core box, but will let you play the original campaign of the core box (partially for now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wouldn't buy any of the packs for solo play with the FGG app - but you may consider grabbing some for https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891360/imperial-direct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some of the allies and enemies, and I've seen them show up in the App, even in the tutorial. For example, the Rebel Troopers showed up at the end of the first tutorial mission. If you look at the app, some say "(coming soon)", but quite a few mention expansions that can show up now:

Ally Packs
- Chewbacca
- Han Solo
- Rebel Saboteurs
- Rebel Troopers

Villain Packs
- General Weiss
- IG-88
- Royal Guard Champion

And all of the expansions currently have some components you can use, from heroes to Supply items to companions.

Plus, does anyone think FFG won't add the rest in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattp2112 wrote:
I need to start of by saying I am only going to play this game solo with the app. Am I correct in saying that the only value I am getting out of the Ally and Villan packs are a miniature and one deployment card? For an average of $20 for each that seems like a complete waste. Am I missing something?

I'd say you're definitely missing something, and that something is content.

To buy this game right now, solely for the purposes of playing it with the app in its current state doesn't not seem like good value to me.

If we pretend for a minute that IA has no Skirmish mode, and no one-vs-many campaign series, and you just have this $100 box and a mobile app to play 5 missions on, then it's a very over-priced game to facilitate that, especially if this is a solo experience for you, and not a means to gather a group and build a social experience out of the basic premise of "play IA then hang out for a bit".

Now, of course there will be new campaigns down the line and FFG will be working to integrate all the content from the various figure packs and boxed expansions, but until that happens, there's not a lot there.

It's a fine offering to appease everyone as a proof of concept but until we get something more meaty that works with more than the Core Set, I don't see this being a really viable option for someone to invest in "right now", solely to play in solitaire mode.

If you're buying this now to play and grow into over time, then go for it. Measure out your purchases and wait for the next app content update to dictate what you buy next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a primary solo player for this game, I too have wondered about what they add, and have come to the following conclusion:

I will buy a select number of these packs, for the following reasons:

1) I will buy these packs for characters I enjoy, and just want the mini. For instance, I love Ahsoka Tano, so I bought her mini. Same goes for Lando, C-3P0/R2, and the crazy, evil droids! Also Jabba as well. I just want the minis because I enjoy the characters, and want to paint them/have their figures.

2) Some of these add additional content. For instance, Hera/Chopper, or the Hired Guns, or the Wookie Warriors, aren't just miniatures that replace a token. These are independent expansions, and buying them lets me have access (eventually, once the app is updated) to more options in the solo game. I'm down with that!

And, when the Road to Legend first came out, there wasn't a ton of content available in it either, but it quickly was updated and now there are a ton of different things you can do with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.