Hide
10 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opening another charters crate - what to do with persona card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug
msg tools
So say you are into like game 4 and you grab a crate from the advancement mat, open it and it includes a persona card from a charter that isn't you, what do you do with it?

Archived?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you not treat it as any other persona you unlock? Am I missing a rule here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug: It's yours--put it in your charter chest. Whenever the Index Guide says that you should gain a card, YOU gain it. Just to avoid confusion, we put a note on the Persona rules (rule 5) that says you should keep personas even if they don't look like your original character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug
msg tools
Thanks Jamey, i saw that right after i posted, oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pink Rose
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to confirm, we are in the middle of game 1 and have 5 players.
1 player has already opened up their crate and took all the stuff. That makes sense.
I have not opened a crate but instead I took an advancement card that was the 6th (inactive) charter building.
So now I have 2 cards with crates.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
I have to go to the Charterstone twice and open each crate.
When I open each crate I get the stuff that comes out of each of those boxes, giving me and only me twice as many persona choices for game 2 (depending on if we receive any more in game 1)
I will have twice as many unconstructed buildings as anyone else.

If I construct them all, I put them all in my charter, ending up with 5 of the 6 hexes filled?

Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that my group missed in this scenario is you are limited in how many advancement cars you can keep from game to game. And if your advancement capacity is greater than one, you can still only keep one unbuilt building and one unopened crate. (See the capacity rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OregonPinkRose wrote:
So, just to confirm, we are in the middle of game 1 and have 5 players.
1 player has already opened up their crate and took all the stuff. That makes sense.
I have not opened a crate but instead I took an advancement card that was the 6th (inactive) charter building.
So now I have 2 cards with crates.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
I have to go to the Charterstone twice and open each crate.
When I open each crate I get the stuff that comes out of each of those boxes, giving me and only me twice as many persona choices for game 2 (depending on if we receive any more in game 1)
I will have twice as many unconstructed buildings as anyone else.

If I construct them all, I put them all in my charter, ending up with 5 of the 6 hexes filled?

Am I right?

Generally speaking, mixing up which building trees you build on your charter will increase your diversity, but not the number of buildings or persona you have. When you unlock a crate, you get stuff, including personas and new buildings. If you perform two unlocks (on your crate and another crate bought from the deck) then build two buildings, you will generally end up with a similar amount of stuff as another player that unlocks, builds, unlocks and builds.

Near the end of the first game, you should have learned about capacity and how you need to discard excess building/crate cards. So any disparities will likely be addressed then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leroy H
msg tools
mb
I think mixing personas among charters would hurt the game and be awkward for my youngsters playing, ages 6-11. We are in the middle of game 4 and something just clicked that brought me back to the forums--we have not treated any building cards as advancement cards except for the handful that started in the advancement deck. Everyone has at least two building cards at a time and we mostly focus on building. I think this is making it more fun and less strategic for the kids vs. going to the advancement board constantly to get them so I'm going to keep playing this way :| and see how it goes. It was hard enough for them to let go of all but one of their friends, guests, and assistants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
mbmb
NamibianScaper wrote:
I think mixing personas among charters would hurt the game and be awkward for my youngsters playing, ages 6-11. We are in the middle of game 4 and something just clicked that brought me back to the forums--we have not treated any building cards as advancement cards except for the handful that started in the advancement deck. Everyone has at least two building cards at a time and we mostly focus on building. I think this is making it more fun and less strategic for the kids vs. going to the advancement board constantly to get them so I'm going to keep playing this way :| and see how it goes. It was hard enough for them to let go of all but one of their friends, guests, and assistants.

I'll clarify the rule here, that a capacity of 1, means you only keep 1 Advancement Card total, not 1 of each type. Having said that, do whatever is making the most fun for your family.

Do you have any inactive Charters? I think that might cause more problems, with regards to not giving up any unbuilt Buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.