Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I've had IAFL since it came out- I pledged the Kickstarter so my name is on the box - but for various reasons I haven't actually played it yet.

This is one daunting game. Bear in mind I already know most of the rules from HL:CAO, but there's just so much in this box. 9 Scenarios with all different enemies in each one, and only two of the scenarios overlap (1981 and 82) Plus at least 18 different types of airplanes, spanning over 7 decades.

Today I finally started sorting the counters into various bags and trays (I've got the enemies bagged up according to scenario, and all 29 types of ordnance sorted into a tray) and I found out something I really appreciate: DVG could've gone cheap and only added 12 "No Site/No Bandit" markers, and we'd have to sort them out and add them each time. Instead they did the ultra-classy move and included 12 for each scenario that uses them! (most of the scenarios use up to 12 of these so that's a lot of counters)

Bravo, DVG!! I hope this game will soon join TAL and HL:CAO on my list of All-Time Favorite Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am eagerly waiting for my box to arrive myself. This game reminds me of the strategic map in falcon 4 BMS (my favourite scenario is the Israel one btw).

Funny story. I recently watched SU&SD early episodes and in one of them they review phantom Leader. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to own it.

Thinking of reviewing this game too!

Interestingly, I think there is a very good 2 player game lurking underneath the surface. Looking forward to test that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play a few turns before Xmas festivities today. It's awesome so far. It's a lot different from HL:CAO. You're using some pretty primitive weapons compared to Super Hornets, but then so is the enemy so it balances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Verssen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you noticed Bob! I had the decision of whether to give each "era" of enemies their own No Sites/Bandits, or have a single set of a dozen. I figured giving each era their own would help people who baggy up their counters, plus it means we have a bunch of Countersheets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Herling

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmb
KevinVerssen wrote:
I'm glad you noticed Bob! I had the decision of whether to give each "era" of enemies their own No Sites/Bandits, or have a single set of a dozen. I figured giving each era their own would help people who baggy up their counters, plus it means we have a bunch of Countersheets!

Thanks Kevin Great decisions IMHO. I also really appreciate the 'Israeli Call Signs'. For me it adds a great deal of immersion; I plan to add them to the counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.