Keith Williams
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I enjoyed the games of Pandemic I've played, so I bought this without reading the details. Honestly, I searched BGG while in the store, saw the high rating, and figured it was a no brainer.

I'm not OCD or anything like that, but I do like to take good care of the things I buy. I turn down protection plans, I still have items in great condition from the 80s...

Anyway, I'm torn (no pun intended) on whether to keep this and roll with its destruction, or just sell it while it's still sealed. I was on a day trip, and returning where I bought it isn't practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Play it. Destroy it. Enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a game meant to be kept.

If you want to play it, play it, destroy it.

If you don't, don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
opanda wrote:
I enjoyed the games of Pandemic I've played, so I bought this without reading the details. Honestly, I searched BGG while in the store, saw the high rating, and figured it was a no brainer.

I'm not OCD or anything like that, but I do like to take good care of the things I buy. I turn down protection plans, I still have items in great condition from the 80s...

Anyway, I'm torn (no pun intended) on whether to keep this and roll with its destruction, or just sell it while it's still sealed. I was on a day trip, and returning where I bought it isn't practical.

You'll probably get around 18 plays out of the game, many of them in the 1.5 - 2 hour range. They should be with the same group of players. Your situation may be different from mine, but it's rare that I get to sit down with the same people that often and share a fun and interesting game. Certainly not for 18 plays and the shared experience that they build.

In short, it's a fantastic experience, and well worth it. Just know that when you're done, you're done -- but there will always be other games to play after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a great breakfast with my wife this morning. Crepes, fresh orange juice, coffee with real cream ... at a pancake house on our Christmas trip. It took about an hour to eat and cost a little over half what a PM S1 costs. While I enjoyed the breakfast, I got a lot more out of the game. Consider it a fine dining (gaming) experience and enjoy. It’s a real gaming treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
opanda wrote:

I'm not really seeing what it is you're losing by playing the game.

Speaking for myself, I think it's a shame it's disposable, for environmental reasons, but it's gotten more use than some other board games I've purchased that are sitting on my shelf unplayed, so I've gotten more out of it for the amount of material that will eventually be thrown away. Also, I offset the damage by making a donation to charity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Williams
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback, everyone. I think it's a matter of readjusting my perspective, which is as a light collector. I open and use my things, but I keep them.

This one will obviously not be lent out afterwards...

Is there still a core Pandemic game once you've played? My other Pandemic plays were with someone else's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of. The board is slightly different, and you'd want to take off the stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I wasn't sure if I would care for a destructive board game, so when we played through it, we didn't rip up any cards (we put them aside in an envelope that said "ripped cards", and put double-sided tape on all the stickers to make them easier to remove "in the future" (ie: after finishing the campaign). Towards the final quarter of the campaign, I decided I would be fine with leaving the stickers on everything forever--so much stickers!--it would take an afternoon to reset the game back to original state, and I'm just too lazy.

But if you really do want to reset the game back to its original state, there are threads around to do that (so even if you don't take notes during the game on what was where you can reset). So give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are basically three ways to handle the legacy aspect:
1. Do as it was intended by the publisher. Play a campaign game, once.
2. Play the campaign but make sure not to destroy city cards, peel of stickers after the campaign and enjoy future games of vanilla Pandemic.
3. Play the campaign and make it resetable. You will find instructions for this, I think, here in the forums. I would find it a bit too inconvenient, but it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LaRuffa
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those people who is very OCD about my games. I delayed purchasing this since the release and just picked it up now. After 2 games, I can tell you that I am really enjoying it...a LOT more than vanilla Pandemic or Pandemic: Cthulhu.

Here is why (in my opinion): You are playing for keeps. I find that I am paying a LOT more attention and really thinking out my turns with my 3 characters (playing this solo) because every game and many of the turns have permanent concequenses. That is very exhilarating.

Also, there is a story and a surprise element to this game which is very refreshing.

Finally, since it is a legacy game, it is like nothing I have ever played. I have played over 1000 different games in the last 12 years and this is the first of its kind that I have tried. Novelty is a big thing for me, so putting on stickers and tearing up cards is really cool.

Personally, I would not try to deal with the hassle of resetting it. Playing for keeps really is what it is all about for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus1515 wrote:
I am one of those people who is very OCD about my games. I delayed purchasing this since the release and just picked it up now. After 2 games, I can tell you that I am really enjoying it...a LOT more than vanilla Pandemic or Pandemic: Cthulhu.

Here is why (in my opinion): You are playing for keeps. I find that I am paying a LOT more attention and really thinking out my turns with my 3 characters (playing this solo) because every game and many of the turns have permanent concequenses. That is very exhilarating.

Also, there is a story and a surprise element to this game which is very refreshing.

Finally, since it is a legacy game, it is like nothing I have ever played. I have played over 1000 different games in the last 12 years and this is the first of its kind that I have tried. Novelty is a big thing for me, so putting on stickers and tearing up cards is really cool.

Personally, I would not try to deal with the hassle of resetting it. Playing for keeps really is what it is all about for me.

+1, this is how I feel.

If you're super conflicted, buy two sets at a good price, and keep one in the shrink wrap. Expend the other. Later, after the experience, you can decide whether to sell the new one. *

*house rules variant -- wait and tell yourself "I can always buy another one cheap down the road if I wanted a perfect copy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Buy two sets at a good price, and keep one in the shrink wrap. Expend the other. Later, after the experience, you can decide whether to sell the new one. *

Why?! Why have something taking up space in your home just so it can be in shrink wrap? Why spend the money. Why have people go through the trouble of producing something, just so it can lie unopened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
Buy two sets at a good price, and keep one in the shrink wrap. Expend the other. Later, after the experience, you can decide whether to sell the new one. *

Why?! Why have something taking up space in your home just so it can be in shrink wrap? Why spend the money. Why have people go through the trouble of producing something, just so it can lie unopened?

You can open it. But that one you keep in perfect condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

Same difference. What's the point?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Same difference. What's the point?!

To break through the hesitation, whatever is causing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 2010 or so, when the Risk Legacy was initially announced, I was very vocal against the "legacy" concept. I have found it absurd. You buy a game, then devastate it. After a finite number of games, you can throw it out. Resale value is nil. The game stops being a cherished instrument of entertainment and becomes a victim of consumerism, something to be bought, played with a little than throw away. Ugh.

Well, I aged a bit since then, and I realized I severely reevaluated my opinion about this. In fact, I now find my previous stand childishly rebellious. Here I was saving the world by opposing a boardgame design principle. Without even researching it or giving it a chance.

I mean, first of all - why do we buy boardgames? Because of resale value? Why buy it at all if getting rid of it is so important? Or do we buy them because we want to play them dozens, hundreds of times? Every boardgame hobbyist knows that it's extremely common for a game to barely reach 10 plays, if that. Simply put, unless you devote some serious time to this hobby, or place inordinate effort to keep your collection as small and tight as possible, you are bound to be the owner of a number of games whose job is to sit quietly on the shelf gathering dust.

So to get back on the point - the biggest reason why people buy boardgames, I think, is to have a great time while playing them with friends. It's about experiences. It's about creating memories. And boardgame's job is primarily to deliver. If it's boring, or dry, or overlong, or frustrating, if it's not offering you and your friends a good time... what's the point? Does reselling it for a good price give you back that evening of frustration and nooone having a good time?

So what I now realize is that "legacy" games simply provide a larger probability of getting those great memories and experiences. The fact they have a limited lifespan gives them additional intrinsic value, even though it devalues their actual monetary worth. You are not paying for pieces of cardboard, you are paying for a great social experience. One memorable game is worth dozens of meh ones.

And yes, legacy games hurt you financially. Yes, they are risky in terms of that they can still fail or the group can disband halfway and you are left with half-finished game which you cannot reset or resell. And yes, destroying and defacing a game can just feel wrong. Which is why everyone should sort their priorities and decide whether it's really for them or not. Just don't do what I did and be opposed to it on principle. That's just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
iamzimmer wrote:
At first I wasn't sure if I would care for a destructive board game, so when we played through it, we didn't rip up any cards (we put them aside in an envelope that said "ripped cards", and put double-sided tape on all the stickers to make them easier to remove "in the future" (ie: after finishing the campaign). Towards the final quarter of the campaign, I decided I would be fine with leaving the stickers on everything forever--so much stickers!--it would take an afternoon to reset the game back to original state, and I'm just too lazy.

But if you really do want to reset the game back to its original state, there are threads around to do that (so even if you don't take notes during the game on what was where you can reset). So give it a try!

The first time it was relevant, I looked for someone to tear up the card in question. But we're all long-time gamers, and it rather goes against the grain, so no-one took me up on the offer. And I don't particularly enjoy destroying components either, just for effect, so - a bit like you - they're currently being "retired" to a suitably-labelled bag. I know that at least two of my group (me being one) would welcome the chance to replay the game at least once, so I'll wait until the end of the campaign to decide how much effort/cost is involved to reset, and therefore what their long-term fate may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
baba44713 wrote:
You are not paying for pieces of cardboard, you are paying for a great social experience. One memorable game is worth dozens of meh ones.

Indeed. I've paid way more over the years for games that have had one play and then gone into the cupboard for ever. If I want to play PL:S1 again, in principle I'll happily get another copy (or put in the effort to "reset" my original copy, if I find it's out of print). Value for money, and all that.

Edit: That should be "and put", not "or put". If I'm honest with myself, it's pretty much certain I'll do it anyway. If nothing else, I'll have fun doing it. But I'd rather play with a pristine copy.

I paid, roughly, the same for PL:S1 as I did a couple of weeks back for an evening out with my wife to see "The Last Jedi". Both were enjoyable and reasonably memorable experiences; and whilst the film is in the past, our PL:S1 campaign is ongoing (my wife is one of the players), and lasting rather longer. But in both cases, it's ultimately the experience and enjoyment that I was paying for. I don't have a problem if I can't replay a copy of a game that I feel I've had good value out of, any more than I have a problem that we can't see a particular film together for the first time more than once.

Edit: Although I would have a problem if I couldn't replay it at all because it had also gone out of print; just like I have a problem with not being able to get a copy of the original original Star Wars. "Han shot first", damn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredd13 wrote:

I paid, roughly, the same for PL:S1 as I did a couple of weeks back for an evening out with my wife to see "The Last Jedi".

Too bad that movie wasn't also one of those things that gets destroyed after experiencing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
baba44713 wrote:
fredd13 wrote:

I paid, roughly, the same for PL:S1 as I did a couple of weeks back for an evening out with my wife to see "The Last Jedi".

Too bad that movie wasn't also one of those things that gets destroyed after experiencing it...

((Rimshot))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.