Hide
23 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: More Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin C.
msg tools
I love this game, but the fiance and I are starting to feel constrained. We would like to buy additional miniatures to even our armies up to about double what the empire is at now. Is there a site that sells just the minatures? I have only found a few here and there on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to do that? This is a very carefully balanced game. The amount of miniatures represents a building limit which is part of that balance. You jeopardize the very game you love by changing the rules. If you want more miniatures without breaking the game, buy the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin C.
msg tools
You play your way, we will play ours. I didn't feel the need to go into all the house rules which would go along with this, but we've thought it out. We just wanted information. I understand your concerns, but at the end of the day, if we are happy or entertained, who cares? We promise to let you continue to play pure core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingKornholio wrote:
You play your way, we will play ours. I didn't feel the need to go into all the house rules which would go along with this, but we've thought it out. We just wanted information. I understand your concerns, but at the end of the day, if we are happy or entertained, who cares? We promise to let you continue to play pure core.

Buy a second copy.

I'd never play like this and I assure you your house rules would not fix the balance problem you're creating with this - especially since you have NOT played it enough.

While you're at it, add another Han Solo and Luke to the mix. I feel constrained that I only have one of each!

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
KingKornholio wrote:

While it's true you are sort of technically just asking where to buy things (I promise google isn't lying to you. there's no secret stash of these somewhere.) if you're going to start talking about some weird, unplayable variant, at least put it in the variant forum so people know what they're getting into when it pops up on their subscriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingKornholio wrote:
I love this game, but the fiance and I are starting to feel constrained. We would like to buy additional miniatures to even our armies up to about double what the empire is at now. Is there a site that sells just the minatures? I have only found a few here and there on ebay.

I think your only chance outside of buying a second copy of the game is to contact FFG/Asmodee directly and see what they can do for you. Nobody third party is going to sell the minis separatel without recouping the cost of the entire game, I would think. Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. Tough crowd.

Try some old micro machines on eBay. They made a bunch of the same vehicles and the size might roughly work out.

Also, I just got some die cast minis in China that are a little bigger, but I think could do. I’ll check the size after my kids open their Christmas presents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

KingKornholio wrote:
You play your way, we will play ours. ... but we've thought it out.

Actually, I stopped reading Clinton's reply as soon as I got through, "Why would you want to do that?", as I was wondering the same thing.

But it's a sincere question! I'm not trying to denounce your decision. If you're smart enough to make it through the rules and play several games, and are able to hold onto a gaming wife, then it's obvious that you know what you want and why you want it. Your game. Your call. So I'm actually being sincere in asking simply, why do you want to add more forces? Why are you guys feeling constrained? What is the angle of the game that you see needing to be modified in this way?

I just enjoy hearing smart perspectives that I've either never entertained, or don't agree with. That's how we all grow.

BTW, as mentioned above, your best bet for additional minis is to get another copy, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second getting another copy - second hand (as part.of the post Christmas resale craze?) or waiting for a discount ? There's also the old star wars miniatures game, available cheaper second hand or at miniature market, but its minis were of a lower quality sculpt.
I guess you could also print standees or tokens, for a cheaper solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D SK
United States
New York
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
The original poster is hilarious. ROFL everyone point and laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love this game too.. I would buy another copy too as a solution... Would give you extra set of dice and rules references for both players to enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin 'Wis' Wisthal
Poland
Gliwice
Silesia
flag msg tools
designer
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
badge
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Start with buying the expansion. It has several interesting building alternatives, so you can extend your forces on both sides. Still, you will have limited amounts of miniatures. It's a good thing for the game - it keeps the intended balance of the game. One last game I could have far more than 3 Mon Calamari cruisers - very powerful and very unthematic. Rebellion isn't that wealthy... Most of the games Empire hits it's production limits - without them the Rebellion would be overrun with AT-AT's and ISDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Heise
United States
Hampden
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Troll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
The old Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition has plenty of troopers that are a little small, but could certainly work. Although that's a hard game to find, I still recommend it as part of any Star Wars collection

You could get the newer Risk: Star Wars Edition. That has a bunch of fighters on both sides.

You could also get fighters from Star Wars: Armada and/or the expansions Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack and Star Wars: Armada – Rebel Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack.

That still leaves a void for the larger ships that I don't know how to fill. If you end up playing this epic game, let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L DV
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what's the big issue? they know about balancing but face it; imagine having TWICE the amount of miniatures? that alone is a valid reason for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look on eBay. I saw lots of mini packs being sold while looking for dice for sale. Looks like lots of folks bought an extra game, pulled out the dice, and are selling everything else.

Darn you FFG, why can't you sell extra dice for this game!! angryangryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin C.
msg tools
mrsuitcase wrote:
KingKornholio wrote:

I think your only chance outside of buying a second copy of the game is to contact FFG/Asmodee directly and see what they can do for you. Nobody third party is going to sell the minis separatel without recouping the cost of the entire game, I would think. Best of luck.

Thank you! This is the kind of helpful reply I was searching for when I waded into the Snarky Sea. You are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin C.
msg tools
wisek wrote:
Hi!

Start with buying the expansion. It has several interesting building alternatives, so you can extend your forces on both sides. Still, you will have limited amounts of miniatures. It's a good thing for the game - it keeps the intended balance of the game. One last game I could have far more than 3 Mon Calamari cruisers - very powerful and very unthematic. Rebellion isn't that wealthy... Most of the games Empire hits it's production limits - without them the Rebellion would be overrun with AT-AT's and ISDs.

Already own it. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin C.
msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

KingKornholio wrote:
You play your way, we will play ours. ... but we've thought it out.

Actually, I stopped reading Clinton's reply as soon as I got through, "Why would you want to do that?", as I was wondering the same thing.

But it's a sincere question! I'm not trying to denounce your decision. If you're smart enough to make it through the rules and play several games, and are able to hold onto a gaming wife, then it's obvious that you know what you want and why you want it. Your game. Your call. So I'm actually being sincere in asking simply, why do you want to add more forces? Why are you guys feeling constrained? What is the angle of the game that you see needing to be modified in this way?

I just enjoy hearing smart perspectives that I've either never entertained, or don't agree with. That's how we all grow.

BTW, as mentioned above, your best bet for additional minis is to get another copy, IMHO.

Probably, but I am getting some good suggestions on this thread. The reason we are feeling constrained is actually due to the absolute brilliance of this game. The designers managed to to make one side play a game of area control against the clock, while the other fights an objective based asymmetrical guerrilla war. The amount of balancing to pull this off is astonishing. It's not just a good game, it's our favorite game. It's the reason we joined this site.

Basically we wish to add enough house rules and custom cards to turn it into a long game instead of a short game. I don't mean that it's currently short. We range from 2-6 hours per play. I mean we often win, without feeling victorious. In the old computer game, you had to Eliminate 2 heroes and capture the HQ and the armies were often equivalent by the end of the game. We would like to at least see this.

What would be better is playing in different eras. Rise of the Empire gave us a Prequel start. In the New Republic Era, the Empire was fighting the war with the smaller force. It would be nice to have more options to play is all. Conquest/Risk being one. Eras being another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin C.
msg tools
I'm not opposed to breaking out my CR-10 if STL solutions are available. I have seen some things on Thingiverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMananmon
msg tools
Hello Justin,

You could also look at Shapeways 3D printing company, they have some miniatures there that are about right (I recommend Mel's Miniatures, his Mmch scale works), and look at getting stuff 3D printed off of Thingverse from a local 3D printing Craft/Hobby Store. I have printed several more/different ships that are sized about right for the game, in addition to buying an additional copy of both the main game and the expansion.

Good Luck
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMananmon
msg tools
Justin,

Here are some pics of the stuff I have had printed from Thingverse;
Imperial Strike Cruiser, Imperial Carrack cruiser, Rebel CC7700 Interdictor (see my page for photos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K
msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:
if you're going to start talking about some weird, unplayable variant, at least put it in the variant forum so people know what they're getting into when it pops up on their subscriptions.

Unplayable? Please! I'm surprised anyone actually plays with limited units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.