Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation» Forums » General

Subject: Uruk I or II? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just found out about Uruk and it looks like an excellent game.

I am wondering which version should I get.

What are your recommendations?

I can get Uruk 1 for much cheaper but I understand that the first one doesn't have English...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great comparisons in this review thread: So which is better? A comparison of Uruk I with Uruk II.

If you have specific questions, you could ask them here or there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

I did read the thread before posting but wanted another opinion.

BTW, which is better for two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played II, so I can't comment on that.

But I can say that Uruk I scales wonderfully from 2-4 players. An excellent game that needs more exposure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
I did read the thread before posting but wanted another opinion.

As you can see in that thread, opinions are mixed. For me, the accessibility of II makes it my choice, even though I do probably prefer the gameplay of I. As I expected, I have found II far easier to teach.

Quote:
BTW, which is better for two players?

Both scale well to 2 players. Bear in mind that this is not a highly interactive game, which avoids some typical scaling problems. I has a bit more interaction via the auctions, but II has a bit of interaction via a couple cards. And of course both feature a tight race for the limited supply of settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

So for you the biggest selling point for II is the fact that it is easier to teach?

If I'll only play with my gf, teaching isn't really a factor, you'd say go with I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
So for you the biggest selling point for II is the fact that it is easier to teach?

If I'll only play with my gf, teaching isn't really a factor, you'd say go with I?

For me, II just feels more polished. Nicer components, and a really smooth system for disasters. All of that factors in. II is a bit less swingy (because you don't have to draw specific cards as much).

If you like the sound of I based on that review and thread, then sure, it would work fine for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
I see.

I am more inclined towards II. Do you think it is worth spending 30$ instead of 15$ for II?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
I am more inclined towards II. Do you think it is worth spending 30$ instead of 15$ for II?

Totally subjective. For me, the ability to easily teach it would be worth an extra $15.

I think if you believe II would be a better fit for your tastes, you might as well get it. A game that sits unplayed is waste of money and space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.