ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing with a friend using the set decks (roland and the girl) and even playing on easy and we are getting absolutely wrecked by the campaign, wondering if I don't understand something correct.

On the 2nd mission, we are going around getting clues then sudden the Masked Hunter comes down and totally, TOTALLY kills us.

His stats are 4 fight, and EIGHT health. Considering roland is the fighter I can still barely hang. I only get 3 attacks (is this correct?) per turn, and even with a weapon and the cop I am doing 6v4 on fight stat, meaning probably only 2 successes. So I do 2 total damage, he hits me for 2+1, then events dump. Another enemy is spawned on me. Nightgaunt or something. I can't even kill 1 guy and now there are two on me?

Am I not understanding the pacing or something? Fighting takes way too long (even as the fighter) and then another event dumps - typically another fight - so how do I get anywhere?

I really like the story/theme etc but this is frustrating and putting me off the game a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get somewhere by evading. If you evade the enemy, he doesn't attack you during the enemy phase and by evading, he gets exhausted, which allows you to hunt for clues and advance the deck without suffering attacks of opportunity.

Fighting is RARELY your best option in Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burton
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough scenario, especially if you just have 1 core set. As a rule though, fighters should be dealing at least 2 damage per attack. If you get into it more, a bigger card pool will help a lot. Roland can play with 5 weapons that deal 2 damage (2 machetes and 3 guns) and Daisy can use 2 Shrivellings with Higher Education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
hm, by "the girl" I assume you mean Wendy, because she would be the natural pair with Roland. There are lots of women in Arkham files, though.

Let's go to rules before we discuss strategy. You have 3 actions per turn, so probably yes... you can only make 3 attacks with Roland. Presuming you are Roland with a weapon you'll have 6 vs 4, so far you are correct. But before you pull from the Chaos bag you have an opportunity to further boost your odds. You can commit cards with combat icons such as Overpower for increased chance of success. The card Physical Training lets you spend resources for combat increases.

Supposing you hit you do indeed deal 1 damage.. but weapons typically provide damage increase. With an ammo token from a .45 Automatic or Roland's .38 Special, you are dealing 2 damage per hit. There is also the Machete for increased damage, and even the Knife if you use its discard function. Fighting tough enemies without weapons is a very bad idea, you want to make sure you have some way to increase your damage, so it doesnt take you 8 fight checks. Remember when you upgrade your deck to consider cards like the Shotgun that help you deal extra damage.

Assuming you can't kill it in one turn however, you'll have to eat his attack unless you play a card like Dodge. Some Assets can help you absorb damage like Elder Sign Amulet or Bulletproof Vest, even extra allies can take hits for you.

If that's no good, there is always Evasion. Roland isn't particularly great at it, but it might be a better plan to try to evade a tough enemy rather than fighting it, especially if you don't have a weapon. Evading an enemy causes it to skip its attack for the turn.

Which brings me to... What's Wendy been doing this whole time? If Roland can handle the masked hunter on his own, then great... but hopefully wendy can lend a hand with a Sneak Attack or Backstab.

If not, your best plan is probably to have Wendy use an action to Engage the masked hunter, then attempt to Evade it, pulling it off of Roland and giving him time to draw cards and hopefully get weapons to attack with. You might have to do this multiple times, but Wendy has high evade and the ability to redraw the token. Still, you should probably mulligan cards from your opening hand if you do not see a Weapon card you can use with Roland.

Getting overwhelmed by multiple enemies is tough, which is why it is very important to kill them quickly, before that can happen. In summary:

1. use weapon cards for extra damage.
2. mullligan for weapon cards
3. use xp for weapon cards
4. commit skill icons to make tests easier, or use Physical training
5. allies and Dodge can help you resist enemy attacks.
6. Wendy can help with combat too if she has the right cards
7. If she doesnt have the right cards, she can help by Evading the Masked Hunter, causing him to miss attacks until Roland can bring him down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:

Um, wut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dragon0085 wrote:
I am playing with a friend using the set decks (roland and the girl) and even playing on easy and we are getting absolutely wrecked by the campaign, wondering if I don't understand something correct.

On the 2nd mission, we are going around getting clues then sudden the Masked Hunter comes down and totally, TOTALLY kills us.

His stats are 4 fight, and EIGHT health. Considering roland is the fighter I can still barely hang. I only get 3 attacks (is this correct?) per turn, and even with a weapon and the cop I am doing 6v4 on fight stat, meaning probably only 2 successes. So I do 2 total damage, he hits me for 2+1, then events dump. Another enemy is spawned on me. Nightgaunt or something. I can't even kill 1 guy and now there are two on me?

Am I not understanding the pacing or something? Fighting takes way too long (even as the fighter) and then another event dumps - typically another fight - so how do I get anywhere?

I really like the story/theme etc but this is frustrating and putting me off the game a little.

8 health... Only four machete swings/bullets right? Don't forget using skill cards properly. The moments where I would really like to get the skill test I'd make it a 7 against 4. Try to get another investigator who also can help.

Moments when you really, really NEED to win a skill test, make it so that you are 4 above the value you want to test against, in this case 8 against 4.

And you can always just evade an enemy. There are cards that help you dodge attacks, cards that help you evade, etc.

I rarely do 2 above the test value, unless I've got no other choice and want to save my assets/events etc, or unless the consequences of failing the test are very low. Speed is crucial and you want to fail as little tests as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the suggested starting decks, I think they're too light on weapons. My rule of thumb is that if you're relying on someone to do damage, 1/3 of their deck should be weapons. Evading things are fine in a pinch, and in some more rare situations, even better than killing them. Especially when it's an enemy who is going to hit you hard. But in general, if you're not killing things, they're just stacking up. The two primary activities which get you through the LCG are finding clues and punching things in the face. You 100% need to be able to do both of those. And then the other stuff is helpful to a greater or lesser degree. But killing and getting clues are absolutely required.

If you only have 1 core, I would proxy cards for additional copies of the .45, Beat Cop, Machete, Guard Dog, and Dynamite. Then take out Barricade, Mind over Matter, Deduction, and the 2 Manual Dexterity's.

Truth be told, the introductory campaign isn't easy. The only thing that it has that makes it nice to the investigators is the amount of XP that you can get. So don't get too discouraged. Also realize that you don't have to, and really it's nearly impossible to, kill all the cultists. You just try to get as many as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also especially for Guardians, allies are really good.

If you upgrade the Beat Cop, he can do extra free damage for you. The Guard Dog can do extra free damage for you. And they both can take damage which would otherwise go to you. The other fun upgrade for Guardians is the Shotgun. Which if you play your cards for fists, can do way more than 1 damage in a shot. And if the other Investigator is in the room with you, they can contribute 1 card for each of your tests. All cards can be used for their icons, if you choose to discard them while you're doing a skill test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very nice exposition, awp842 !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWP- Thanks for the tips.

I got one question though, you say to not fight, but that guy is a hunter and literally runs me down. Even if I am doing 2 damage, that is at least 2 complete turns (and at least 1 complete gun). Maybe its just the starting decks arent that good but certain actions like drawing 1 resource seem utterly pointless given how constantly I am besieged. Am I correct you CANNOT put a weapon on while in a fight? That makes the hunter even harder, I shoot my whole gun, then its out, then I am punching him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't say not to fight... I said not to fight a hard monster with no weapon.

You can play a weapon (or any other card) while engaged with an enemy, but unless that card has the fast keyword, the enemy gets an attack of opportunity.

If you successfully evade an enemy it will be exhausted, that means no attack and no Hunter movement for a turn. So you can stall them a bit.

It very well may take a few turns to drop the Masked Hunter, but you can evade, you can Dodge, you can put damage on Assets, you can take a hit or two. Your second player can engage and take damage on their character or assets as well, or perhaps evade for you. He won't kill you instantly, so be looking for ways to minimize the impact of his attacks.

Attack weaker enemies with a Knife or basic melee attacks, saving your weapon ammo for harder monsters. Beyond that, Machete is very valuable because it provides extra damage without relying on Ammo tokens. Otherwise add cards like Extra Ammunition to your deck to provide more uses for your weapons.

Guard Dog, vicious blow, and beat cop can all deal some extra damage as well.

Drawing cards and gaining resources for actions isn't pointless. Sometimes you need to draw to try to find a weapon, or get resources to play your cards. If you're consistently being killed by Stamina/sanity damage -and not by running out of time-, you can probably afford to slow down a bit, take a bit more time to draw and play cards, and not go after clues quite as aggressively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
AWP- Thanks for the tips.

I got one question though, you say to not fight, but that guy is a hunter and literally runs me down. Even if I am doing 2 damage, that is at least 2 complete turns (and at least 1 complete gun). Maybe its just the starting decks arent that good but certain actions like drawing 1 resource seem utterly pointless given how constantly I am besieged. Am I correct you CANNOT put a weapon on while in a fight? That makes the hunter even harder, I shoot my whole gun, then its out, then I am punching him.

You can Play a weapon while Engaged, but you will take an Attack of Opportunity. For The Masked Hunter, you are indeed best off killing him as quickly as possible. Wendy can help, by hitting him with a Baseball Bat or Backstab or Sneak Attack, and/or by being the one to Engage with him and Evade him.

Drawing 1 Resource is often pretty pointless. Putting Weapons and other Assets into Play is a strong way to start, and then use Roland's ability as much as possible so that Defeating Enemies is also gathering Clues.

And yes, the starting decks are pretty bad. I consider those decks a good representation of the Investigators as the protagonists of a Horror movie - one that leaves no survivors. I recommend playing through all three Scenarios as a Campaign even when you die horribly every time. Change up the Investigators to add variety - it won't help you win, but it's a good game for losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

And yes, the starting decks are pretty bad. I consider those decks a good representation of the Investigators as the protagonists of a Horror movie - one that leaves no survivors.

Hahah, I laughed, I dont feel as bad any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
(and at least 1 complete gun).

This is one of the reasons Machete is so great - it never runs out of ammo. It's really key as the primary fighter (Roland in this case) to use your mulligan at the start to make sure you get a decent weapon in your starting hand, ready to play early if not in the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually take a dim view of evasion in this game, but this is a pretty easy guy to evade if you're worried about dying to him. Of course, you still need to kill him for the scenario objective and the VP, but evasion can buy you time.

Have Roland gear up. You want a good weapon in play (Machete, the .45, or his .38), a few combat icons in hand (Overpower and Vicious Blow, ideally), and a Guard Dog or a Beat Cop in play. Three hits with one boosted by Vicious Blow + one more point of damage from the Beat Cop/Guard Dog gets the job done. Alternatively, it's totally OK to go two rounds with this guy if things don't go perfectly. Roland has plenty of health to tank this guy for a round.

Wendy can contribute quite a lot with Sneak Attack or Backstab, or by evading him to buy time if you're not finding the cards I've listed. If a second monster shows up to screw things up for Roland (e.g. by turning off his Machete), Wendy can also take that monster away, which is helpful.

You can look for the above cards in your opening mulligan. You know the Masked Hunter is coming and you've got 6 turns to prepare, so you should be able to muster a good response when he shows up. If Roland doesn't find a weapon in his opening hand, I do recommend having him draw for one.

GoingTopShelf wrote:
You get somewhere by evading. If you evade the enemy, he doesn't attack you during the enemy phase and by evading, he gets exhausted, which allows you to hunt for clues and advance the deck without suffering attacks of opportunity.

While I agree that evasion has some utility, I wouldn't agree that it's generally better than fighting. For most parties, most of the time, fighter is better than evading. And certainly in this situation you eventually have to kill the Masked Hunter. It's a scenario objective. Spending your actions evading him is only kicking the can down the road.

This is really a scenario that shows the weaknesses of evasion, I would say. Evasion is a really poor response to Acolytes and especially the Wizard of the Order, and it's unnecessary against the unique Cultists (Ruth Turner excepted), who you just want to kill or parley. It's OK against Nightgaunts, but even then it's not a great solution, because a) evading Nightgaunts is hard, and b) they'll unexhaust and come after you again. Killing them is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.