Subject: What would be a good way to up the difficulty past Hard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, but a little too easy even on hard (playing co-op). I was thinking of just adding one victory card to the requirement, but that might only emphasize the "race" aspect. Any other ideas about how to elegantly increase the difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
flag msg tools
I am a big fan of Saltlands. I don't play co-op often, but I was thinking of adding something to the damage cards. I think that making the +3 movement cards cause you to additionally lose one card from you hand. This would thematically represent an attack "missing" your character but destroying an item instead. This would add a different kind of threat especially in the early part of the game when it seems like the raiders have a hard time hurting anyone.

Similarly, you could also have the same effect from "whenever you are attacked but not damaged" discard a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Travisr2h wrote:
I am a big fan of Saltlands. I don't play co-op often, but I was thinking of adding something to the damage cards. I think that making the +3 movement cards cause you to additionally lose one card from you hand. This would thematically represent an attack "missing" your character but destroying an item instead. This would add a different kind of threat especially in the early part of the game when it seems like the raiders have a hard time hurting anyone.

Similarly, you could also have the same effect from "whenever you are attacked but not damaged" discard a card.

Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drozdy András
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I would not recommend increasing the difficulty by requiring more victory items.

Greg (Gergely Kruppa) said, limiting the number of cards players have is the way to go.

So having players lose cards as suggested is definitely worth a try.

If you really want to make it hard you could change all tokens that let you draw 3 cards to give you 2 cards instead. If you don't want it too hard you could make tokens on the starting tiles an exception to this rule.

We have not playtested this. If you try any of these, please tell us about how it went.

(Oh, and before messing with the difficulty it is worth checking if you have missed any rules. For example you cannot interrupt your movement in order to do actions. In other words you can only move once no matter what. Changing this drastically changes the difficulty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drozdy András
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also change which raiders types are in play. This can also effect the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAndras wrote:
If you really want to make it hard you could change all tokens that let you draw 3 cards to give you 2 cards instead. If you don't want it too hard you could make tokens on the starting tiles an exception to this rule.

I like this -- I do feel like I'm awash in cards after the first couple of rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.