Subject: How narrative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd take a shot at writing up an Arkham Noir: Collector Case #1 – The Real Leeds session report, and it's going well, but it's turned into a real story & rather lengthy. How long & how narrative can a sessions report be?

This has been a very interesting exercise. I've learned a couple of rather disturbing things...what deathgrind music is, & that I'm actually pretty good at writing weird horror. So that's been rather cathartic. And now I think I'll go back to being rather milque toast. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
As narrative as you want it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

And as long as you want it to be.

E.g. see the very popular session report A life-altering game deserves this kind of session report. (which currently has 1062 thumbs...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

E.g. see the very popular session report A life-altering game deserves this kind of session report. (which currently has 1062 thumbs...)

Wow, that's amazing!

Fortunately my game wasn't life altering, because in this story that would pr'ly be a BAD thing. zombie zombie zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the game just gives you the story & you have to run with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Wow, I need to read that when I have a free hour to take it all in. Looks epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
russ wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

It definitely sits atop the throne of session reports/reviews. I remember copying it out and it was like 21,000 words or so.

To OP, as someone who enjoys reading session reports, the more cohesive the narrative is to the actual game play the better. As you can see with the aforementioned example, if you tell a compelling enough story, it doesn’t really matter how long your report is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
How long & how narrative can a sessions report be?

As an analogy, typical commercial movie theater releases are about 1.5 to 2 hours long, and that is what the audience is accustomed to.

Some releases are longer and thrive. Some are shorter ... and shouldn't even be that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
russ wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Read it last night...epic indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
n107 wrote:
russ wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

It definitely sits atop the throne of session reports/reviews. I remember copying it out and it was like 21,000 words or so.

To OP, as someone who enjoys reading session reports, the more cohesive the narrative is to the actual game play the better. As you can see with the aforementioned example, if you tell a compelling enough story, it doesn’t really matter how long your report is.

The story does adhere to the cards as they played. Creating the story to go w/them was a delightful exercise. Once I polish it, I'll post the link here. I hope it's an enjoyable read, tho' I can tell you now, it's not an epic.

Thanks for the encouragement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.