5 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gaining caps for defeating enemies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven DJ
Netherlands
flag msg tools
TL;DR is it a good idea to award caps equal to an enemy's level when you kill it? Or does that make the game too easy?

After 4-5 multiplayer playthroughs we find that we're short on caps almost the entire game. A lot of loot is only worth 2-3 caps, which is 1-2 caps in the shop (and takes a shop action to sell). The only other ways to gain caps are encounters (unreliable due to dice rolls), Lots of Caps card and a Luck perk.

To compare, you need caps for the following things:

- Shopping, which is expensive as all hell. The cheapest weapon and armor are 4 caps, and most drugs cost 4 caps as well. That's at least 2 loot cards you need to sell before you can afford even the cheapest stuff.

- Quests! A lot of quests have the option to either pay someone 4-7 caps or do something like defeat an enemy. Since we almost never have enough caps, we pretty much only do the other thing, which is a shame.
The worst offender is one of the final main quest cards in the Commonwealth scenario, which requires insane amounts of caps to prevent the game from finishing too quickly.

- Brother Outcast. Starting with armor is very good, but the drawback is oh-so real.

- An agenda card which awards influence for having lots of caps.

To balance these issues, we're considering adding the following houserule:

- When defeating an enemy, you gain caps equal to its level.

Do you think this will work? Or will it make the game a little too easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
_lo-ol_
mbmbmb
What about receiving caps for the level minus 1?

Despite I think that part of the gameplay relies on tge rendomness of the events, items, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I like this idea. I thought caps were a bit too hard to get. Course on my first play I forgot to give everyone the three starting caps lol.

I think the varriant with gaining caps equal to half the enemies level rounded up.

Also it’s a good way to represent all the junk you would normally collect and sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Schwendemann
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We basically started awarding half a cap per enemy without a loot token. This represented the meat, skin, or other useless junk that any random enemy would be carrying.

Seems to make the shop action more useful as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xknight2099 wrote:
I like this idea. I thought caps were a bit too hard to get. Course on my first play I forgot to give everyone the three starting caps lol.

I think the varriant with gaining caps equal to half the enemies level rounded up.

Also it’s a good way to represent all the junk you would normally collect and sell.

I agree, defeating enemies generates caps equal to half the enemies level rounded up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.