Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I posted this a little while back on Reddit, but I'm looking for additional recommendations to those I found there!

Number of Players: Two! This is a hard limit.

Game Length: Don't especially care, but the longer the better. We definitely don't want, say, ~20 minutes, but we're definitely open to anything from an hour to six hours to campaign mode with ~24 hours of play or more.

Complexity of Game: Don't care as much, as long as it's not simultaneously heavy on rules and messing up a rule will ruin something. We haven't played Gloomhaven both because we're not dungeon crawler fans. We generally prefer more of a focus on socio-political interaction than combat, and the rules seem overwhelming. But I separate complexity of rules from complexity of the game, if that makes sense.

Your Budget: Up to around $100

Genre: We're open to pretty much anything. All we care about is that the focus is on the narrative, not on combat.

Competitive or Cooperative: Cooperative!

Games I Own/Like or Dislike: I'm a former writer for Onyx Path Publishing. If it means anything or helps you get me better, I've written for the Beast and Changeling lines. Board game wise, our absolute favorite is Pandemic: Legacy S2, followed by Pandemic: Legacy S1. We also enjoy T.I.M.E. Stories, and played through Seafall collaboratively (and with just the two of us). We have This War of Mine, but find the rules vague.

Reddit suggested we check out Mansions of Madness and the Arkham Horror card game. Do you have any other recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures is a fantastic, story driven game that has you solving mysteries. It's great with two. My wife and I have played through all 10 of the mysteries and already started on the original SHCD.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island has significantly more meat with a side of punishment. It feels more like a board game but can be brutal so be prepared to lose a few times. My wife went to sleep early playing this last night but my friend liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the reddit suggestions -Gloom of Kilforth .
Currently available as a late pledge on the KS campaign.

Although it might seem at first to be combat driven, reading the session reports shows how much of a narrative there is.
The design intent was to condense a typical D&D campaign into a few hours & it works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
For an interesting take on the genre, Fog of Love.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175324/fog-love

Shut Up & Sit Down discusses (starting at the 30:09 time stamp.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHnQQNQGLMY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Recently played and really liked The Shared Dream which has lots of story to the gameplay. If you are into the slasher genre, there is also Camp Grizzly, which creates a fun little story as you play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

I second this.

Another possibility --- although I haven't played it --- is Legacy of Dragonholt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights, aka choose your own adventure in a box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Lees
Canada
Courtenay
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Legacy of Dragonholt. It is a very fun experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MastigosAtLarge wrote:
We generally prefer more of a focus on socio-political interaction than combat ...

In 2018 you might watch developments for CO₂: Second Chance.
Vital Lacerda's redesign promises a cooperative mode. Theme: saving the earth from overheating(!)

I would also suggest any CDG with historical accuracy.
Cooperative: Days of Ire: Budapest 1956

Also with a good narrative and not strictly "combat" . . .
Non-cooperative: the COIN series. 'Has depth that you seek.
A recent title for 2P is Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62. Fascinating!

Once you get bit by the historical bug: Washington's War and a ton more.

____
__
__

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cooperative narrative in its own class: Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
bgmclay wrote:
MastigosAtLarge wrote:
We generally prefer more of a focus on socio-political interaction than combat ...

In 2018 you might watch developments for CO₂: Second Chance.
Vital Lacerda's redesign promises a cooperative mode. Theme: saving the earth from overheating(!)

I would also suggest any CDG with historical accuracy.
Cooperative: Days of Ire: Budapest 1956

Also with a good narrative and not strictly "combat" . . .
Non-cooperative: the COIN series. 'Has depth that you seek.
A recent title for 2P is Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62. Fascinating!

Once you get bit by the historical bug: Washington's War and a ton more.

____
__
__

Haha, I'm actually an historian by day. I'm an early Americanist. I focus on children's experiences and perceptions of childhood in the 17th and 18th centuries if anyone cares (probably no one does). So I very much have the history bug! I'll look over the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ekted wrote:

We've considered it previously, but we weren't sure if it would be too similar to the exploration aspect of Seafall! We're still open to it, but that's what's stopped us in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
whavoc wrote:

Recently played and really liked The Shared Dream which has lots of story to the gameplay. If you are into the slasher genre, there is also Camp Grizzly, which creates a fun little story as you play through.

Holy shit, so far, these both look awesome, especially The Shared Dream. Thanks for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to respond directly to everyone, but then I realized I'd have like eight posts in a row and that might annoy people, so thanks, everyone! (And please do keep commenting if people have additional recommendations). Checking out all of the recommendations I've gotten so far, we we really appreciate the help. By the way, does anyone know of an easier way to respond to everyone in one post, or is the best way to copy what everyone said and use the quote button around each thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
bgmclay wrote:
A cooperative narrative in its own class: Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Thank you for bringing this one to my attention. I've been reading up on it, waiting for my partner to come home to show him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klimpel
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Keep Calm and Chive On "Probably the best site in the world"
badge
We the Klimpels love to game
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that Mice and Mysticswould fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No recommendation but this
Quote:
an historian
pleased me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad P
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series (there's part 3 on the way) or Mythos Tales, if you like Cthulhu done well, enjoy some more innovative mechanisms and don't mind the occasional printing error (using the available errata is advised, though the games mostly works out of the box too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Toc13 wrote:
No recommendation but this
Quote:
an historian
pleased me

Glad to have been of service =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agents of Smersh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Bayes
msg tools
War of the Ring (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
gbayes wrote:
is this cooperative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.