Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul P.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first session report, so please let me know what I did well and what I can improve. Thank you and enjoy.

So we had a really great game of Fury of Dracula (3rd ed) this past weekend at Western PA gaming Market District Nights. It came down to Sunday night of week 3!

We began with a very experienced Dracula and 3 players. Being the only experienced hunter, I started with Lord Godalming and Mina Harker. The 2 new players took Van Helsing and Dr. Seward. Godalming started in Varna, Mina in Milan, Dr. Seward in Munich and Van Helsing in Liverpool. Dracula started in Vienna.

Seward and Mina started by trying to rule out (or in) Italy and France with Mina's ability. Godalming expolred South Eastern Europe and Helsing explored the UK. We supplied up fairly abundantly at the beginning, except for Godalming, which I was trying to quickly rule out Greece, etc (also, Godalming can supply up quickly). We also were not very reluctant to supply at night, which started well and in the hunters' favor because a "Newspaper report" was drawn and were were able to find his starting location (Vienna) on the 3rd hideout.

Also, a 5th player joined in and assumed the role of Lord Godalming.

Now we were able to (accurately) deduce Dracula was in Germany. So we converged with hunters in Cologne, Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Godalming, still making his way closer, was in Zagreb. Dracula used Wolf Form to slip through our line but we caught him in Marseilles with both Dr. Seward and Mina on Thursday (day). However, Dracula was able to Escape as Bat and in the next turn set roadblocks going int Le Havre. Ruling out Bordeaux and with Godalming now in Milan, we descended upon Le Havre. We were able to defeat a New Vampire and a rumor token, then Dracula set sail into the English Channel and landed in London. Also, we were able to use Rufus Smith as an ally.

At this time the 2 new players had to leave. We were able to find one replacement so I then took on Van Helsing along with Mina. At this point Van Helsing was the only one in the UK when Dracula entered the water again. Dracula was able to mature a vampire at this point. Dracula then sailed 4 more (for a total of 5 Sea spaces until he had 2 hit points left (Rufus Smith was a huge help here). We new he had to have landed in Italy so descended there. At this time Dracula had 8 influence points and it was towards the end of week 3.

So on Sunday night of week 3, with Dracula in southern Italy, 3 hunters close by and the "enrage timer" about to trigger, Dr. Seward used a train ticket to meet Dracula in Bari. Dracula had been able to heal back to 5 hit points and Dr. Seward was only moderately equipped (I believe only a pistol and garlic).

As dusk happened and combat triggered, Dr. Seward used Heroic Leap which Dracula was unable to block... therefore killing Dracula.

Obviously I left out some of the gameplay, Dracula ambushed us often, we had to overcome fog, bats, bodyguards, stormy seas, and other Dracula tricks... but being able to find his trail 3 days in was crucial. Dracula was on the run with us in close pursuit (wow, triggered some Smokey and the Bandit there) the whole game. I really thought Dracula was going to be able to last long enough for full Despair and the Fury of Dracula ability to trigger and win, but Heroic Leap was the winning play. The middle of the game was pretty standard and we would have been able to kill Dracula much sooner had he not been an experienced and very good Dracula player.

You cannot be afraid to supply at night. Even though we did give Dracula a fair number of event cards, it was the event cards that helped us ultimately defeat Dracula.

Thank you for reading, hopefully I did an okay job of recalling our game. Again, if you have any tips or suggestions for me, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall McGrath
Ireland
dublin
dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very atmospheric review, well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.