Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2018 54-Card Game Design Contest Thread

UPDATE: Components Ready

Story Line: It's been ages... but there was peace once. Our two kingdoms thrived and grew, together no other kingdom dared fight the one in fear of retaliation from the other. Our kingdoms walls grew around each other like a warm embrace, offering protection and security.

Just as peace had forged a bond of strength, distrust and anger burned it away. A King's son was murdered and all evidence pointed towards its neighbours hand. It was denied of course, and without enough proof the kingdoms lived on, but it would never be the same.

Like a seed, that distrust and anger slowly grew and turned to hate and fury in the King's heart. War was in the kingdoms midst, and this time, it was outside our gate.

About the Game: Kingdoms of Conflict is a hand management game. Forge your army into waves and go head to head, wave after wave and day after day in Kingdoms of Conflict. How you form each Wave and utilize each unit can determine your fate. Will you use your knights at the front lines? Or will you be forced to have them work at repairing the walls? Will your workers have to pick up their daggers or can they finish their tasks? Out maneuver your opponent and have your Kingdom stand tall.

Components: 54 Card Deck
Play Time: 20 Minutes
Competition: Best Overall Game / Best New Designer
Player Count: 2

This is my first contest entry so any advice would be most welcome and very grateful for!

Link for Low Ink Component PnP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jtmu85jm28yqut/Kingdom%20of%20Con...

Link for Low Ink Rulebook PnP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky3vk43wq22u8d7/Kingdoms%20of%20Co...

Link for Design Contest Page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1893921/2018-54-card-game-d...

Link for Low Ink Rulebook PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjrc364as3cligp/Kingdoms%20of%20Co...

Link for Low Ink Components PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyub7pm7pvhswho/Kingdom%20of%20Con...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdoms of Conflict (2018 54-Card Game Design Contest) - Ideas Phase
Prototype cards for a players hand. Each player will have the same cards, and depending on how they choose to orient their cards they can strategically out maneuver their opponent. Some of the displayed cards will have duplicates to a total of 15 Cards each.

How to Win: Captured Units (Cards) are victory points in Kingdoms of Conflict.

The game will be played over 3 days (Rounds). After each day both players pickup whats left of their discard pile and start the next day forming new waves.

Day 1: 3 Waves of 5 cards each. Each player can form their waves out of their 15 Cards. Cards are played 1 at a time simultaneously.

Day 2: 2 Waves. Each wave will consist of the number of cards the player with the least has divided by 2. (For example the one player has 11 cards and their opponent has 13. The player with the least can equally divide his cards into 5. So each player will create 2 waves of 5.)

Day 3: 1 Wave. Consisting of the amount of cards equal to the amount the player with the least has.

Capture units by overpowering your opponents defences.
Build your defences by stoping your opponents attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Book coming soon.

UPDATE: Rule book added on top page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks neat. As a comment on the low-ink cards I found the sideways text a bit small and hard to read.

Just as a heads up the "Best Standard 54 Card Game" is for games using the standard 4 suit Ace through King deck of cards with 2 jokers.

Also what is the win condition? Win 2 out of 3 of the waves or just win the last wave or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook Added! Any feed back is much appreciated!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pkleinhe wrote:
Looks neat. As a comment on the low-ink cards I found the sideways text a bit small and hard to read.

Just as a heads up the "Best Standard 54 Card Game" is for games using the standard 4 suit Ace through King deck of cards with 2 jokers.

Also what is the win condition? Win 2 out of 3 of the waves or just win the last wave or something else?

Hello Perry! Thanks for the feedback. Ill work at increasing the size of that text.

Also thanks a lot for the heads up for 54 Standard. Ill correct that.

For the win condition, give the rulebook a look over and let me know if that still needs to be clarified. Thanks so much for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just read through the rulebook and looked at all the cards here are some comments.

It seems cumbersome to have 15 cards in hand, that's a lot of cards to look at and a lot of things to decide between, especially since the information on the cards are at 3 different angles. You could narrow this down by having the player only have, say, 3 cards to choose between and after they play a card they draw a new one.

In the section with the header "Beginning of a Wave" you should explain how the trackers are actually moved. It seems like the value of a red Attack card played should be compared to the value of a blue repair card but this isn't clear from the rules.

I think it should also be stated explicitly what orientation a player's card should be in when played. Is the number towards the middle of the table the one which they are playing or is it the number away from the middle?

Can I only buy the top card of the upgrade stack at the end of a wave? Is there a reason a player would want to store repair value?

Are the tracks reset at the end of each day? Or each wave?

Every card should list its defense value.

What is a victory point pile?

Its never explained how you play a card in as landscape rather than portrait and when those effects are resolved. I'm unclear on how any of the landscape abilities work. Do the cards stay out in between waves and days? Can they be captured?

The section on calculating wave size for Day 2 is more complicated than it needs to be.

I appreciate the long example in the rules but I think it should be separated from the actual statement of the rules. State the rules first and then state the example.

What does the upgrade card "Force your opponent to discard a card from their line" do? What is an opponent's line? It seems like all cards are discarded at the end of each wave so this doesn't make sense to me.

Some of the upgrade cards refer to units others refer to cards. This should be consistent.

Strength value is defined and bolded on the tracker cards but only mentioned off hand in the rules.

I like that players need to decide between taking powerful cards away from their opponent or scoring more points by taking weaker cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.